Simply Rugged Pancake Review

Kreyzhorse

I recently picked up an OM Ruger Vaquero from a buddy and of course needed a holster for camping, hiking and hunting. After looking around a bit, I ordered a Simply Rugged Pancake.

Order turn around time was stated as 2 to 3 weeks. Ordered on 2/28 and I got it today, 3/14. That is within the promised window.

The fit and finish is very good. The stitching is well done and even around the edges. The moulding fits and retains the gun very well. The top is slightly funneled to help holster the gun. At least I assume that's the reason for the slight funnel.

The holster has three slots making it reversible as it were. I am left handed and had the holster made that way but the 3rd slot allows for right handed cross draw. It's well thought out and designed. It rides high on the waist so the 5.5" barrel won't be an issue.

The leather is stiff and seems of good quality. Comparable to my Galco and older Bianchi holsters.

Now, because very few things are perfect, my only gripe is the color. I ordered oxblood and while the back of the holster is oxblood, the front of the holster is more of a dark brown. There are a few lighter streaks of red in the right light, but overall, it's brown. I realize that each piece of leather takes color differently so to me, this really isn't much of an issue but I wanted to mention it.

I've read some reviews that said Simply Rugged can be hit or miss, but overall, I'm very happy and can't wait to put this holster through its paces. I suspect that it will serve me very well for a long time and I feel I got a good value for money spent.

I'll try to remember to update this after my first weekend camping trip of the year.

I too have the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster in oxblood, except its for my 6" GP100. Its my woods gun and the holster has held up well over the last 4 or 5 years. It still retains its shape and continues to hold close to the body. If his quality is still the same, I think you'll be happy with it. I also agree, I think its a good value for the money. This is a old photo of it that I've posted in the past.

I don't think I own a gun that doesn't have one of Rob's holsters paired to it. Their beauty is in their utility (not that they aren't darn good looking). The name "Simply Rugged" kinda says it all.

Clearly I'm a big fan...

Back