Simple question

David Scott

Somebody please tell me, what is the difference between trap, skeet and "sporting clays"? The "getting started in trap" thread got me interested in using my recently acquired Mossberg 500 for something other than subduing home invaders. I figure one of these sports would help keep my skills up, especially if the burglars have those funny orange dish-shaped hats that Devo used to wear. :)

Shooting clays...

Trap shooting entails the projector being forward of the shooter. Said projector will shoot the clay "pigeons" either to the left or the right, high or low. In either case, the pigeon sails away from the shooter until the shot catches up to it.

Skeet shooting is an entirely different sport. Here the shooter is placed between two towers. The clays are thrown somewhat towards the shooter from one tower and moments later, from the other. To break both clays, the shooter must engage one and quickly turnabout and engage the second.

There is a third, and this entails projecting the clays from a tower high above the shooter. It simulates duck/geese/Boeings in flight.

BTW, these shooting skills were very useful during WW II and WW I when pigeons were used to carry messages. It was a nice way to interdict delivery (and perhaps enjoy a little squab).

Back