Simple cheap semi auto gun for coyote

Define inexpensive. That's a relative term. A Chevy Cobalt is an inexpensive vehicle but it's still over 10 grand.

If <$600 bucks isn't too much I'd look at a DPMS Sportical AR15. Outside of that an AK, SKS, M1 Carbine, Mini30, really any centerfire autoloader will be fine. They aren't particularly hard to kill.

For me, you'd need to define your budget a little better before I could offer any real help.

if you are looking for cheep remember to find some thing with cheep bullets too. There are very cheep guns out there that you can not find bullets for with out spending $50.00 or more a box.

I would go with a rim fire or a 223 or a pistol caliber carbine.

Define cheap. Any semi 22 LR you like will get the job done at close range, but at the ranges a 22 rimfire will work, I'd be using a shotgun. For longer range work there are lots of AR's being used for long range varmit shooting. That is what I use as well as most of my friends. You can get into an AR for around $600 now.

IMO, an up-close minimum would be a .22 magnum rimfire. For the more likely ranges, a .223. Group size is relatively unimportant to 100 yards, from a practical standpoint.

I've never had an opportunity for any sort of second shot on Ol' Wily if I missed the first one. He has this fantastic ability to be elsewhere in a heartbeat. :D That "rapid second shot" means you'll likely hit where he was, not where he is or will be.

Hi-point 9mm Carbine or 12ga shotgun. Not gonna bust em at 200 or 300 yards with those so if that's a requirement you're gonna have to step up to a Savage or Stevens bolt action in one of many fine .224 caliber centerfires. Possibly an H&R single shot.

Rimfires? No way.

LK

If I were to buy a gun for the purpose of coyotes specifically, it would have to be a bolt gun or a single shot as Art says, with a caliber depending on expected ranges.

I use a mini14, but I use it for blasting coke cans as well.

If you want inexpensive, you might be able to find a used Remington 7400 or 742 in .243 Win or .308. I will probably work as well as any semi-auto for coyotes, provided minimal pelt damage isn't required. I've fired 7400s that will shoot 1 1/4" groups or smaller at 100 yards.

I'm with Art about liking bolt guns and have used .22 WMR, .223 Rem, .243 Rem, .270 Win rifles to shoot eastern coyotes. They all work, but I don't worry about saving coyote pelts on the tree farm, just deer and other wildlife.

I've never had an opportunity for any sort of second shot on Ol' Wily if I missed the first one. He has this fantastic ability to be elsewhere in a heartbeat. That "rapid second shot" means you'll likely hit where he was, not where he is or will be.

Agreed. And for that reason I would not limit myself to searching for just semi-auto guns especially if I was trying to save money. The .223 caliber is about perfect for Coyotes and there are some very cheap bolt actions out there that will easily shoot well enough to smoke coyotes as far as you can hold true. And in the same vein as what Art said, I can tell you that a bolt action or semi-auto will make no difference. Any solid hit with a .223 on a yote and a second shot won't be needed. If the first shot misses a second shot won't be feasible. Trust me.

I've used a mini 14 for several years now and really like it. Shoots into 1 1/4" all day long and with the Sierra 65 grain gamemasters it kills yotes real dead real fast.

Back