Silvertips

9x18_Walther

Winchester is still making the old 115 grain 9mm Silvertip under the Super-X line.

Does anyone know why they still sell an outdated bullet design for $1.00 a round when better options exist (HST, Gold Dots, Ranger T, etc.)?

I like the Silvertip because it is dead reliable in feeding and extraction/ejection, but it would be nice if the prices were lower. :mad:

I'd prefer if this didn't become an argument over self-defense ammunition since I think the Silvertips have adequate expansion and penetration for my needs.

it seems all ammunition is expensive. Interesting side note I believe the Atlanta police still use that Silvertip, I've even got a box or two here

1. Does anyone know why they still sell an outdated bullet design for $1.00 a round when better options exist (HST, Gold Dots, Ranger T, etc.)?
  2. I like the Silvertip because it is dead reliable in feeding and extraction/ejection, but it would be nice if the prices were lower.

I believe comment 2 may be the answer to comment 1.

Winchester still sells them because they work and people still buy them.

9X18,

I agree with Sport45, you kind of answered your own questions.
The 145gr 357Mag and 155gr 40S&W Silvertips are both pretty stout loads.
They are expensive though, priced any 6mm Remington lately?:eek:

never seen it honestly, ive heard of it. what makes it inferior? just doent pass the tests?

okay, I watched three tests, not "great", but not the worst. .25 under FBI, but 100% retention and expansion over .64-.69, denim plugging did not stop the expansion. will it work, of course, and it works better than MOST budget JHP's(think Privi HP, UMC HP's, the way too slow for weight Federal Hi-Shok that will NOT expand through single denim) . The bullet design, especially the interior looks almost identical to 9m hydra-shok(another design that needs retired).

well, they work "okay".... decent velocity, somewhat sub-par penetration, but great expansion and perfect retention(anomaly for non-bonded lead-swaged and seems to fare well against clogging. I'll bet the market stays where it's at because folks that have been using it for 5 decades sometimes don't like to change. the nickel coating may be attractive to new shooters, I can only assume anyhow, and for folks that aren't gun-nuts like us see the Winchester name recognition and assume quality. for those superficial reasons, I bet they still sell pretty good, plus they appear to come in boxes of 50 instead of twenty which is desirable. they seem like VERY good rounds in the .380 and possibly magnum calibers as well, so they probably make the 9mm to complete the line because they are set up for it already, and if I have a 357mag that loves SilverTips, I may just run in and grab a box for my 9mm as well, not knowing or caring if one gets better this or better than in a gel block...(not me by the ay, I am a ballistics junky to the core), I am just very understanding to the average shooters desires and thought processes, and a lot of shooter don't concern themselves with every technical aspect of a bullet they are probably never going to use, and if they do, it'll be less than ten yards out with god-only-knows how many rounds in their HD pistol mag

but I agree with your assessment, it should be AT LEAST 20-25% less, since it seems to perform roundabouts 20% less than a modern premium. BUT.....obviously it's profitable at a price point that matches modern loadings, or they would have lowered the price by now.....right? so obviously, they have no reason to retire the cartridge or lower the price.YET. good for consumers, we know get to file through seemingly endless tests of particular bullet designs, and I think as the "older" crowd that doesn't keep up with the YouTubing professional ballisticians start to go way of the Dodo, in turn we will see the market slowly change.

BUT.....how many times a week do you hear....I carry 124-147gr Gold-Dots, people spout it out like it's great ammo, it's not, it's practically terrible in 9mm, the 115's are "somewhat okay", but every other weigt is horrid(lets give gold-dot credit for the G2 9mm that ONLY works from a 6" + barrel). And so we are comparing to "modern loadings" as a reason for cost versus and "old and crusty" design that's blamed for everything that went wrong in 1986. I would much rather talk about "modern" loadings that hold an even higher price point and are even WORSE than the silver-tip. what is more modern than Sig Sauer ELITE PERFORMANCE V-CROWN.....wow, that sounds like some amazing stuff, Sig Sauer....elite....v-crown?....wow....that must be like.....well, maybe the worst freakin ammo ever made. Darn, at least we have the very "modern" bullet design of the Remington GOLDEN SABREH-P-J....now that sounds like a modern bullet I can get behind. I mean it has a "high-performance-jacket" folks, can't get better than that, well maybe if they added a V-crown as well...oops, these modern bullets are an absolute failure, geesh, hopefully they will add a BLACK-BELT soon and THEN it could be a true 9mm man-stopper, they might wanna get them to feed reliably someday too, IMO. what about Buffalo Bore, they are just known for hyper performing ammunition, so their 115 +p has gotta be great, yup...like 2 out 10 actually expand and even less when denim is involved, they appear to be using Nosler HP's and they clearly just don't work. there are plenty more I could talk about of course. I think you get my point, these are very pricey rounds that just plain SUCK. the OP's gripe about Silvertips, although based in some fact, are better performers than most all of these uber "modern" loadings that cost more. i'll take an old silver-tip over all of these before mentioned bullets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xDipPzgK-4
I put the mag-tech lead guardians on par with the silver-tips, not the best, but gets it done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MDJ5WyMaFk&index=39&list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i

luckily though, we actually do have some great options in 9mm, but not many if you really think about it. CorBon Lead-Free DPX appears to be unmatched at consistently perfect expansion/15" penetration, but man it's expensive. HST seems to stand out as a winner, PDX1 Bonded are very decent, 147gr Ranger-T's are about perfect in my book and Hornady has very affordable, consistent, high expansion with "okay" penetration(but IMO the most accurate of them all). Surely I am leaving some actual performers out, but it's like 5 am or so. all I am saying is, "modern" means nothing to me, lets not even get started on HPR BLACK OP'S, HALO'S, LIBERTY, DRT, EXTREME NITRILLIUM CRAP, FANGFACE??? and all that stuff. I just think in this limited market of actually useful 9mm options, which are all VERY pricey, I don't think the 1-2" leg-up that they get on some of the older designs are really going to make a noticeable difference at 3am. I feel 10,000% comfortable with affordable Hornady's even though the HST may give me a couple hundredths of an inch of perm cavity and another inch of penetration. I don't even consider XTP to be a truly "modern" design, but it's accurate and consistent and widely available. you guys can pay the 3$ a bullet for the Barnes if you want, they are surely fantastic bullets, but I think if you and I shot an intruder with 3 rounds in the exact same places, me rocking the Hornady and you with your "modern" turned copper HP's on CNC'd Chaos bullets, and I bet anything we are both going to get indistinguishable results when the autopsy gets done.

We are talking about 9 millimeters for christ's sake, I believe loading differences and profiles can make dramatic differences on ammo used to kill/wound out to 300 yards plus, but I think ANY 9mm with good velocity and a working expanding hollow nose that is even slightly resistant to clogging are going to b one in the same, whether one gets 13.75" or 15" of penetration, I think the average defensive encounter is going to be well covered with either bullet, and may be just as well served with a box of FMJ's in the real world. I think we take all of this way too far. which is cool, that's what the hobby is about and that's why we try to learn everything we can about every new projectile on the market....but that's us, we are a strange bunch. i'd say the other 80% of 9mm pistol owners walk into their sporting goods store and grab a "middle" priced box of hollow-points and never think twice about dissecting the bullet and studying the nuances between it and the box that was next to it. the bullets will cost what people are willing to pay for it, no matter what.....

Last edited:
9x18 walther said:
Does anyone know why they still sell an outdated bullet design for $1.00 a round when better options exist (HST, Gold Dots, Ranger T, etc.)?

Why do you think that HST's, Gold Dots, and Ranger T's are superior to Silvertips?

Why do you think that HST's, Gold Dots, and Ranger T's are superior to Silvertips?

If you look at tests, there is no doubt that these lines have a greater chance of properly expanding and when they do, the expansion is greater.

Whether or not this equates to a physiological difference is questionable.

As to Winchester Silvertip bullets, I've found the bullets to perform very well when I hand loaded them. As far as the .45 Colt was concerned, very low velocity hampered bullet performance.

Bob Wright

I still have some original .38 Spl Silvertips I bought back in the 80s when they came out. I keep them for two reasons: Lone Ranger, and werewolves.

You do realize that Silvertips are not made with real silver, don't you?

And while they would look ok in the Lone Ranger's gunbelt (in the right caliber, NOT .38SPL :D) the werewolves (and vampires) would just ignore them.

:rolleyes:

Partly marketing and people just remembering the name. That's why Federal Hydra-Shocks are still being made when HSTs a better rounds, IMO.

Also, the 115 gr. 9mm Silvertip got a bit of a bad rap from the infamous Miami Shootout. It was a 115 gr. Silvertip which stopped about a half inch short of bad guy Platt's heart and the FBI pushed "ammunition failure" as the primary reason for much of the bloodshed that day. I've seen more than one gel test showing penetration close to the magical 12 inch mark. For example, TNOutdoors9 had one penetrate 11.25 inches and expand to 0.66 inches through four layers of denim. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HztD9GKtLUw

Are there better 9mm defense rounds? Yes, but the Silvertips aren't bad. And the 175 gr. Silvertip in 10mm is considered to be a good defense round in that caliber and is going to be more universally available than most 10mm defense rounds. For one test, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=9&v=RmNL30om6Eo

You do realize that Silvertips are not made with real silver, don't you?
Yes, but it's a deterrent. The werewolves might not know that. Though if it came down to it, I might be able to win a product liability lawsuit if I were attacked by werewolves and the Silvertips proved ineffective. False advertising. They should call them Aluminumtips.

And while they would look ok in the Lone Ranger's gunbelt (in the right caliber, NOT .38SPL ) the werewolves (and vampires) would just ignore them.
It's an homage to the LR. My gun isn't a .45, or single-action. But still.

And no one in their right mind would use a silver bullet on a vampire. Silver has no effect on them. Unless you stuffed the hollowpoints with garlic or something.

But in their day, the Silvertips were a significant improvement over the standard Remington .38 Special +P 125gr semi-jacketed hollowpoints, which had a small hole about the diameter of a pencil lead, and were unlikely to expand out of snub-nosed revolvers.

They were one of the first rounds to have a relatively large hollowpoint cavity and fairly low weight for the caliber, which led to reliable expansion. This was back when expansion and initial wound-cavity were thought to the be the one-shot stoppers, rather than deep penetration and CNS impacts.

Quote:

If you look at tests, there is no doubt that these lines have a greater chance of properly expanding and when they do, the expansion is greater.

Whether or not this equates to a physiological difference is questionable.

I mostly agree, except Gold-Dot's, IN MY OPINION, are quite literally one of the WORST bullet choices in 9mm. Don't hurt me, i'm just a kid......

I am a fan of Gold-Dots, really I am, just not in the 9mm. Some of there straight walled chambering are just plain brutal to those poor jelly blocks, but what THE MOST IMPRESSIVE achievement by Gold-Dot's are, hands down, their 40gr .22WMR . they don't beat out the competition, the merc'd it and buried it under the porch. all 13"-16" penetration in true 10% gel. Denim tests not perfect, but still expand and stay under the max penetration despite not fully expanding. simply amazing job by Speer. There is no WMR round that even comes close to the gold-dot. Thye also make some great 38spl loading with huge expansive cavities, which can sometimes lead to plugging, I am not seeing it. I don't recommend for full bore .357 because of the length of the petals are too long on their .358 projectile to run at those speeds and not shar it's petals. but they have a lot of good stuff. but I would still grab that box of SilverTips(which I never herd of until today) over a boc of Gold-Dot's in 9mm. Not because I think SilverTips are awesome or anything, but because I KNOW that the GD's are proabably the worst "premium" 9mm load available. I am speakin to their 147gloading as the worst and the 124 as the 2nd worse and I guess I don't have enough inf0 on the 115. I have many boxes of 110-125gr Gold-Dot's in .358, load them right in the middle of 38 +p and the min .357mag loads with HP38, and that's what my wife carries. we have done a lot of home testing, and they are some sick bullets at around 1280FPS from a sub-2" snubbie. VERY accurate, manageable even for my recoil sensitive wife(a LOT more bark than bite, but what can you do), and extremely damaging to a gel block meeting the min requirements from a 38 snubbie while at the same time creating a huge wound channel and a .67" slug at the end. I load the 125's at about the same speed for myself, similar results wit a little more consistency, both graet choices for a practical load for a .357MAG chambered revolver.

I am not close-minded on anything, I learn some of my thinking was completely backwards all the time. so if you have some limks to some SilverTip testing vs Gold-Dot esting in 9mm, FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE, I woud love to see it. but from what little I could find on the SilverTip, I agree not even in the top ten, but I can't see what makes the GD better......I would like to hear your opinions though and even some data if you have any

"...I keep them for two reasons: Lone Ranger and werewolves..." You need to read the rules for killing werewolves. Has to be a solid silver bullet fired by somebody who loves the werewolf. And you ain't The Lone Ranger. snicker.
Gold-Dot's, HST's and Ranger T's are just HP's. A Silvertip is a semi-jacketed SP with an Al cap.
Silly twits at Winchester quit making 'em in rifle calibres. Blew a ground hog into another dimension with a 220 out of a .30-06(M1 Rifle that was not bothered in the least) long ago.

All I know is, I've looked for 357 mag Silvertip for several years without finding any.
I remember they shot very well in a Security Six I used to have, and I would like to try them in my 3" GP100.
An email question to Winchester got a response that they "might" make some in 2016.

Nostalgia?

Way back when, pushing 15 years ago, I picked up a buttload of .40 Silvertip, on clearance at Wally World. Half the usual price, I picked up all they had.

I'm still working through it, slowly.

Silver Tips may be an old design but they cost the same amount of labor and equipment to manufacture. And I too am a fan of Silver Tips. I know they are reliable, feed in all my autos and have never failed me. BTW, I was told that silver is poison to vampires, so a silver bullet would work.

Back