• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Silly, BS posts!

Jeff Thomas

I know this situation is probably almost impossible to change, and perhaps I'm the only one irritated. But, personally, I'm really tired of threads like this (paraphrased):

"I don't think anyone should buy Kahr firearms because they are owned by the Moonies."

And later, in the same post, the Topic Starter states something like "I really don't know anything about the Moonies ... I just thought I'd jazz you guys."

Or, "So, is $1,200 a good price for a pre-ban AR?". And later, "Aw, I know it's a great price, and I also know everything there is to know about AR's, and I'm only 19."

I think it's fine to kid around with each other, but some of these BS threads are getting a little tedious, IMHO. I enjoy the debates we have here, but I am somewhat less interested in returning to TFL everytime I spend some time on such a thread.

So, maybe I'm a bit touchy tonight, but I wonder if anyone else finds this to be an irritating waste of time?

Well, yes, I think it's an irritating waste of time. But I think that sort of thing generally comes from new members, who have come from the other boards, and haven't yet gotten the gist of what TFL is about.

Give them some time, let them see what the "complexion of the board" is, and if they catch on, then maybe we've helped them to start considering the serious issues.

It's going to happen, so I just try to ignore it. And I never feel less inclined to re-visit TFL. It's too good too much of the time to go without.

-boing

I agree with you 100% and I realize these irritating posts come from new posters but, what I have done in the past when first coming to a board is to "lurk" for awhile and check the archives before asking a question or for that matter, responding blindly.

What irritates me the most are the threads that obviously are intended to bring about controversy.

Or, "do you think my .22 rimfire will be as effective as a .45 ACP if I use HP ammo?"

Oh well...

------------------
Jim

"New Jersey... The First Communist State in The Union"

The Firing Line is growing fast...perhaps too fast. We are having an increasingly difficult time keeping up with all the threads.

When you do find one that is clearly meant to incite or is childish in nature, please email me. Not everyone will be satisfied with our decisions, but that's why we get paid the big bucks.
Rich

I know, I'm probably just being a little cranky. ;)

Truth is, TFL is such a great resource, I'm really never less likely to visit.

I'll send you an email if a real bozo appears (excluding me ... ;) ). And, Rich, I know you're getting wealthy on TFL, so I won't feel the least bit guilty. ;)

I suppose it is like so many things - a scratch on a new Jaguar sticks out like a sore thumb, but a caved in fender on an old beater just blends right in. It is a reflection of how great TFL is that these irritating posts stick out.

Take care.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited July 14, 1999).]

Back