Silica Gel Packets

silverbullet6oh

Would silica gel packets be a good addition to put in my sealed ammo boxes to help ensure moisture is completely taken out, as I do open them about 1 time per month to get ammo out to go to the range. Or would it be unnecessary and too much insurance to keep my ammo dry for storage? I am storing both brass and steel cased ammo.

I own a manufacturing plant and ship parts internationally. Corrosion is always an issue and we've tried a number of different methods to combat it.

As a short term solution, the silica gel bags help, but to do their job correctly, the item being protected needs to be enclosed, such as in a zip tied plastic bag (and to toss another issue into the game, some recycled plastics are not pure, and make have corrosive chemicals in their make-up!). Silica gel packets also have a fairly short shelf life, particularly if left out in the open. The good news is the packets are fairly cheap and readily available on Amazon. The tiny ones, such as found in shoes boxes, are pretty much a waste of your time, by the time you salvage & re-use, though if purchased new (unused) will help, again, if not stored (loose) in the open, and put into a closed container.

Corrosion inhibiting paper is less effective than the bags and also needs being in a sealed enclosure to be fully effective. The best method is to purchase moisture inhibiting plastic bags and sealing the item inside. Not very practical though.

It can't hurt AFAIK. I buy the packets in bulk and put some in every ammo can I fill and seal for storage. Double the amount in those cans that get opened once in a while.

Silica gel can only absorb so much moisture per bead. Once they're "full" they do absolutely nothing at all. as has been mentioned they work best in a sealed environment by simply grabbing & bonding to the limited, fixed amount of moisture present in a sealed volume.

Usually a good clue to being "full" is a pink or blue color as some beads usually have built in color indicators.

The pellets can be dried (in a low heat oven for several hours) & then repackaged & reused till they exhaust again.

Thanks for all the advice, I get these silica gel packets from my vendors in their product boxes and when we stock our shelf i just take home the packets.

yes, I love the stuff, I have collected several #'s of it, and I love having it in the safe. for bullets? well, I will admit to having a little prepper stash stored away for ??( I imagine it o be of great use to my future-future-future generations to depose the established regime of liberal space alien party, long after our crude weapons were outlawed and replaced with RIFD phaser keychains that can be turned off with GOV device.....the future is going to be rough) , I use large air-tight plastic containers(isolate protein powder gallon jugs) and have some sprinkled silica in them, maybe a couple teaspoons, maybe it'll absorb what little humidity was in there to start. but it great for safes, be sure to reactivate when it darkens by putting in oen at 25 for 2-3 hous or whenever back to translucent color.

Back