Silica Gel / Dessicant - Where To Buy?

• Thread starter Thread starter faiello5
  • Start date Start date
F

faiello5

I have looked everywhere for silica gel/dessicant, but to no avail. Where in this great world of ours can a find a merchant who sells this stuff? Thanks.

Frank

Any good craft store has it. It's used for drying flowers. BTW you can use it over and over again by drying it in the oven.

------------------
Join the NRA.

The dessicant packs that Midway sells are really handy since they come in aluminum containers. I bought the same thing from Brownells in the aluminum containers and it has lasted for many years. If you buy the stuff in the cloth/synthetic material the bags split after one or two uses.

There are probably cheaper sources, but my local camera shop sells it in a plastic cube/cage and there is a color indicator so you know when it is saturated. Then you microwave it to dehumidify it and use it again. I use it in a Pelican case (with foam removed)and my babies are happy and content in there, despite being on the beach in Hawaii where everytinng else rusts instantly. Someday I'll have a safe with a dehumidifier built in, but for now this works well.

The stuff is cheaper than dirt at your local craft supply. 2 pound container should run 6-8 bucks. Dunno how shooting suppliers get by marking it up so much.

Cabela's has silica gel in metal packets. It's the type that turns pink when saturated and can be reactivated by baking in an oven. part numbers are:

HK-22-0673-036 protects 3 cu. ft. $4.99
HK-22-0673-033 protects 33 cu. ft. $9.99
HK-22-0673-057 protects 57 cu. ft. $19.99

Cabela's phone number is 800-237-4444.

I've always bought mine at Brownells. www.brownells.com
40 gm silica gel (3 cu ft) $ 5.50
450 gm silica gel (33 cuft) $12.95
750 gm silica gel (57 cu ft) $25.30

but the Cabelas prices look a little better. Depends on how much you are getting.

faiello5--

I hope you haven't already ordered from one of the previously posted sources...the best price by far is from Galati International, 800-444-2550, and request a catalog. No web presence at all, apparently, not even E-mail.You probably can describe the product over the phone and order without waiting for the catalog. The stuff comes in a porous fabric bag/pouch of approx. 1.5 lb. for only about $4.00, with discounts for quantity (don't have the catalog in front of me for more precise #'s).

These are big enough to do some good; I keep several in my camera safe (cameras and lenses are even more sensitive to humidity than are guns, as well as being more difficult to protect--can't slather a Nikon with CLP and RIG!! I don't mess with the little "sugar packets" or tins of the stuff except to use in an individual gun cases.

I believe they sell it under the brand name "Humi-sorb". Hope this helps!

This is my first time posting anything to TFL. Gawd, I love this place!!

faiello5--

I hope you haven't already ordered from one of the previously posted sources...the best price by far is from Galati International, 800-444-2550, and request a catalog. No web presence at all, apparently, not even E-mail.You probably can describe the product over the phone and order without waiting for the catalog. The stuff comes in a porous fabric bag/pouch of approx. 1.5 lb. for only about $4.00, with discounts for quantity (don't have the catalog in front of me for more precise #'s).

These are big enough to do some good; I keep several in my camera safe (cameras and lenses are even more sensitive to humidity than are guns, as well as being more difficult to protect--can't slather a Nikon with CLP and RIG!! I don't mess with the little "sugar packets" or tins of the stuff except to use in an individual gun cases.

I believe they sell it under the brand name "Humi-sorb". Hope this helps!

This is my first time posting anything to TFL. Gawd, I love this place!!

Welcome aboard weegee! You must like this place twice as much as usual. ;) BTW, great alias. Did you select it in honor of the avantgarde photographer?

Back