SilencerCo's New Shotgun Silencer

Theohazard

They've been hinting about this for a few days now (so it's not terribly surprising) but SilencerCo just introduced their Salvo 12, which is a modular shotgun silencer. On the outside, it looks like a big Osprey, but I'm very curious to know what the insides look like. It has to be a different baffle design than a normal silencer, but I don't know what that design would be.

As much as I'd love to get one of these, I'll probably hold off for the time being and spend my money on other things. Considering this is the first major-production shotgun silencer, that means shotgun silencer designs are in their infancy. If this proves to be popular and other companies start making their own designs, this SilencerCo model will probably become obsolete even more quickly than normal silencers. And prices will also come down quickly if other companies start making them. What do you guys think, is anyone thinking about getting one of these right away?
______

Id be curious about baffle design as well. Talk about potential for baffle strikes:eek:

Does it thread into a choke tubed barrel or some other attachment?

The decible rating is still pretty loud. I think i'll stick with my 300blk and SDN-6 for now. Id sure like to see how it all works though

Yeah, it threads into the choke threads. And the baffle design must accommodate the huge potential for baffle strikes with a shotgun load. Maybe it's some sort of barrel extension with holes that bleed the gases into the baffles? I really don't know anything about previous shotgun silencer designs. But knowing SilencerCo, I'd be willing to bet that their design is new and different from other previous attempts to design shogun silencers.

Ummm...

Kinda like the MP5sd? A tube to contain the shot with holed drilled to vent gasses.

Man id like to see one!!

I think the MP5SD only has a vented barrel at the rear of the silencer, I think it has traditional baffles at the forward end. And I would think that simply having a vented barrel with a baffle system around it wouldn't be enough to suppress a shotgun; maybe they're large slots that contain the wad but allow more gas to flow to the baffes? I actually have no idea, I'm simply speculating here.

Theo is right about the MP5SD barrel suppressor design.

The new shotgun suppressor seems to be sectional from some of the pics I have seen. I really want to get my hands on one.

Now I'm gonna have to go buy another Benelli so I can mount one of these suppressors on it. :rolleyes:

Here we go. That video shows a series of nine rods that surround the bore and keep the wad in place. That actually makes a lot more sense than a tube with holes in it; this way it seems like it would allow more gas to flow to the baffles and yet still be very strong.

So the MSRP I have seen for that is $1400. I wonder how much the different choke tube mounts will be? $100?

And is it only good for 12 gauge? Could a 20 be used with the right mounts or would there be a problem with the guide rods?

1400 is an insane ripoff

For small cottage industry basically hand made specialty mechanical devices, I'd say that may be a little high but not too far off the mark. You can't even buy a mass produced Swiss automatic chronograph watch for that anymore.

Hushpower in England has been doing shotgun suppressors for several years. They use a drilled barrel and a couple of baffles out front as the load leaves the choke.
They will sell you (in England) a suppressed 20 ga Over-Under on a Spanish Fabarms action complete for 830 Pounds = $1402 today. No transfer tax, if you go to the trouble to get even a shotgun certificate, a silencer is just being neighborly.

A Mossberg 500 with Hushpower barrel and standard is 499 Pounds = $843.

A detachable "moderator" is only 160 pounds = $270.

I'm curious as to what effect it has on the pattern for bird shot. With a slug or buck shot, it is not a big deal. But there's a reason we use a variety of different chokes for bird shot, whether hunting, trap, skeet, etc.

Full length wads or slugs are what they are recommending, so it might not be a good fit for standard birdshot loads with wads that have petals. The rods have to be able to keep the wad axial or there will be a big potential for problems.

And it eliminated any choke tube you may have used before. The can now screws into the spot the tube used to

SO... Its a quieter cylinder bore gun

And it eliminated any choke tube you may have used before. The can now screws into the spot the tube used to

SO... Its a quieter cylinder bore gun

are you sure you cant get attachment in the choke you want? The email I sent them asking about the silencer in question seemed to imply that the attachment will come in a few different chokes.

am I wrong?

are you sure you cant get attachment in the choke you want? The email I sent them asking about the silencer in question seemed to imply that the attachment will come in a few different chokes.

No, im not sure. All i know is the suppressor threads into the choke tubed barrel.

Are you saying there is a way to then thread you choke tube into the end of the can?

For small cottage industry basically hand made specialty mechanical devices, I'd say that may be a little high but not too far off the mark. You can't even buy a mass produced Swiss automatic chronograph watch for that anymore.

You probably can´t, but you can get 2x swiss made Brügger & Thomet Impulse V .223 suppressors with QD mounts, or, 3x B&T Impulse .45 for pistols. So yeah...

That seems crazy awesome. I've heard about it before. Sorry, if I am "thread bumping." It just seems so cool.

I wonder if it is as quiet as the video makes it seem. Would that work on a Saiga 12? How does it affect cycling with a semi-auto shotgun in general?

I doubt the saiga 12 would have any issue with cycling. I don't have data to back that up, but they seem to cycle well with anything you toss down it's throat, I don't think the slight difference a silencer will bring to the equation will cause any problems

I actually think a Saiga may work better with a suppressor. My brother's has issues with anything other than slugs or buckshot, might be a low back pressure issue? If I understand correctly suppressor a increase back pressure. I'm purely speculating here so correct me of I'm wrong, I won't be offended.

Back