SIG's current line of P series pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamster

Is there any difference in the quality of SIG's newer P series (P226 in .40/357, P229, P239, etc) as compared to their older line (P220, 225, 226 in 9mm, 228, etc). I know that the older stuff was completely made in Germany, while the newer pistols are assembled in the US. Any comments on this?
Just asking cause I have a friend who wants a SIG, but for some reason, he thinks foreign made stuff is superior to American stuff (eg. he likes foreign cars over American ones).

Warning: what you are about to read is derived from the personal experience archives. It in no way encompasses the results others have realized with Sigarms products. The one-piece blackened Stainless Steel slide offered from the Sig plant in Exeter, NH is an improvement of the German-made products. That having been said, I believe the German workmanship is superior to the New Hampshire output. I have owned both.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

I think the frames of all Sigs come from the fatherland. The blackened stainless slides start their life at Pinetree Castings (aka: Ruger) which are then machined by Sig USA. Personally, if I were to go to a 40 caliber Sig, I'd go with the stainless slides of the P229 (beefier).

While on the topic of Sigs, the Commie Chinese are now making a copy of the P226. I doubt if the workmanship is up to snuff to that of the fatherland or the US. The dirty communists turned capitalists have no shame.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

shamster:

It's confusing...my P220 has nothing on the frame but a serial number. On right side of its slide, it says "made in Germany". My P229 and P226 both have "frame made in Germany" stamped on right side of the frame. "SIGARMS, Exeter, NH" is also on the frame and slide of those two. Is only on the slide of the P220.

Mike

220's were at one time made and assembled in Germany. Now they are made at various points around the world and assembled in New Hampshire. I prefer the metallic recoil spring guides and multiple strand recoil springs indicative of the German makes. I have a background in polymers and metallurgy and I am not found of plastic recoil spring guides in any size shape form or fashion.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back