SigPro: Problem. Comments/Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKrob

I have just recently purchased a SigPro .40 S&W. My purchase decision was partly due to the great experience I've had with my 226 - never a malfunction.

I took my SigPro to the range for the first time last week, and put 200 rounds through it(Winchester target stuff, I think 180 grain). I experienced 3 misfires, where the firing pin did not strike the cartridge primer. I unchambered each round, inspected, rechambered, and was able to successfully fire. It appeared to me as though, somehow, the hammer was not fully cocked and was not able to strike the firing pin mechanism. Just guessing - I'm not a smith...

Has anyone had any exoerience like this with a SigPro? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure the arm is completely degreased and remove all factory lube and accumulated junk. Also check the ammo that didn't fire for primers that are too low. Was it reloads? Also lubricate the arm as outlined in the O/M. Be careful not to "Overlube" as this can cause problems. We just issued 65 of these to our officers and experienced few problems during transition. Most of these were attributed to "limp wristing" or other recoil sensitive problems. After several hundred rounds everything worked well and most officers are well pleased with the arm. Make sure the fire control unit has both pins in it( remove the grip to see were the large and the small pin go through the frams.The DAO trigger is Looooooooong! I'm still pulling on one from yesterday and waiting for it to go off.

[This message has been edited by bobo (edited October 27, 1999).]

I agree w/Bobo.

Although I've never owned/shot the SIGpro, if its like the others, they ship them lubed w/heavy grease. If you didn't clean it up internally before shooting it, some of the grease might have migrated into an area which mucked up the machine. Never had a problem w/Winchesters, but one brand of LOW quality reloads by the name of Mountaineer Cartriges missfired through Sigs and Berrettas that I've shot.

If I were you, I would:

1. Take it apart and clean it out thoroughly w/ patches, Q tips, and solvent.

2. Dry and relube w/ light oil.

3. Shoot again w/several factory loads. Take notes of details of malfunctions. Esp look at primers of brass and keep ammo to send off w/gun for diagnosis if gun fails again.

4. If still malfunctions, call SIG Arms and talk to service dept. OR

5. Contact me and I'll direct you to a good SIG smith.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Rumor Control has issued a statement that a bunch of Sigpro's were shipped with too short a recoil spring, which keeps them from going completely into battery, especially when a tad dirty. This could cause the problem you explain.

Call SIG - they'll confirm or deny, and take care of whatever the problem turns out to be.

Thanks everyone for your replies,
Based on the 150 rounds I put through it the other night, I'm tending to think it's the short recoil spring rumor. It appears that it some cases the slide returns 4-5mm short. This has only happened 6 times in 300 rounds, but certainly needs attention.

I'll be calling SIG to see what they have to say. If they provide no recourse, Equalizer, I'll be getting in touch with you about a smith.

Thanks Again.

We have had that problem with one of our shooters in the basic academy. I gave him my
SigPro to shoot which had never malfunctioned for me. He shot and still had the problem ( with my gun ) during qualifying so we thought it was the ammo. The brand of ammmo we had been using had given us good results but we may have had a few rounds that were bad. I thought it was some kind of weird limp wristing problem or passed it off as being a new gun. I would be interested in what Sig has to say. I like this little weapon
because it solves a lot of problems but it has to be 100% reliable. There is virtually no armorer work to be performed on this weapon. It's strictly a change the parts kind
of arm.

[This message has been edited by bobo (edited November 05, 1999).]

Im buying a sigpro 2340 this week. I hope i dont have this problem. BOBO i understand you have alot of experience with this one . What do you think of it and are there any other options you or anyone else here recomend ?

If the 2340 is a junker(which i doubt from sigarms) i may be more interested in the 220 or 226.

Any info is helpful.

------------------
TIM : )

I don't think its a junker. I would buy
one myself If I had the extra $$. But there
seems to be a "Phantom" problem with a few of
the 75 we ordered. The arms you usually
buy from Sig will have very minor wear marks
on the barrel to denote only the test firing
of the nominal 5 rounds they usually fire for
accuracy ( do they still do that? )The wear
marks on (all of )the barrels of the
Sig Pros we received showed pronounced wearing of the bluing at the front of the barrel ( top and bottom ) I put this off as extra test firing form Sig, but it was not what I have seen over that last 5-6 years as a Sig Armorer. When I have a SigPro that has more than nominal break-in required I completely] take it apart and degrease it, then oil it and function check it. Sig's motto ( of sorts) is that if it goes back together and function checks alright then the arm is ready for use. I still say it may have to do withlimp wristing or flowing with the recoil;
( you know shooting from an unbalanced position ) than any thing else.
We will see.

[This message has been edited by bobo (edited November 05, 1999).]

Thanks for the info BOBO !

I have test fired the non-polymer sigs and loved them ! I really like the feel and accuracy of the sig arms. However i have not fired the polymer framed 2340. Does anyone know if the 2340 has more/less recoil?
how about extended mags for bigger hands? My little finger seems to hang off the 229 a bit. I think an extended mag would help with that. I really dig the sig pro and wanna get all the info i can on it before i buy. Any info is appreciated.

------------------

I spoke to a SigArms rep yesterday and he put down most of our failure to fire problems
due to ammo, which I believe I could debate
with him, but he was so convinced I let it
go. ( could be ) But he did alliviate most
of my concerns and I do have a lot of confidence in the arm because I have had no
failures to fire with mine and the great
majority of the ones we issue. BTB he did mention that Sigarms is coming out with a
Short trigger for the Sig Pro.

Had the same problem w 4 different 2340s I shot w lots of different ammo. SIG rep said they hear it a lot, just put more oil on it!

We sold a lot when they first came out, most came back within a month to be traded for Glocs and USPs. Hard to give em away now; bad word of mouth (despite all the Glock/kB horror stories-sheriffs blew one up this summer-they still sell like hotcakes. Go figure?).

Seems like some bugs to be worked out, sure looks like a good gun.

------------------
>>>>---->

I recently purchased the 2340 and I love it. I have had absolutely no problems with it. It shoots every bit as well as my 226, and better than the 220. The trigger on mine is better than any of my other handguns except for my Kimber. Accuracy is superb.
I can find no fault with mine and am surprised to hear of other's problems.
The only criticism I could make is that it is a bit large for concealed carry.

I love the sigpro! its a great shooter i just wished they made hicap mags for them or were able to use other sigmags. would have been nice to make the 226 polymer insted of changeing the whole desine

You could't make a polymer 226 ( why would you want too? )because of the
fit of the roll pins to the slide and the
fit of the other pins in the frame ( I guess
you could do some ) Polymer has different
working characteristics than steel, IMHO.
Sig does make 12 rd. mags for the SigPro.

I own an SP-2340 with about a thousand roundst through it, and it has malfunctioned every time I have went shooting. Out of battery is the most common malfunction I have experienced, but it has had some failure to feeds. I think there is a problem with the gun since I keep it clean (I always clean it and the magazines after shooting), I keep it oiled, I have used many different brands and loads of ammo, and I know that I don't limp-wrist it, and it still malfunctions. I am going to trade it or sell it as soon as possible.

Mine will be here wed. I think i made a good choice. It seems every gun has 1/2 of its owners that love it and 1/2 that hate it. Ill see for myself. If i do end up having alot of problems with it ill trade it in for a 229,226 or 220. I know these are superb.

Bobo, any recent reports from the field on this one ?

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back