Signing a bill

Abndoc

I know that if a bill reaches the Presidents desk, if he doesn't sign it, it doesn't become law. He doesn't veto it, he just doesn't sign it into law.

I'm trying to remember if it works the same way when a bill reaches the desk of Californias' Governor. I seem to remember that if a bill gets to his desk, and he doesn't actually veto it, that it passes into law after a certain period of time.

The reason I am asking is that the microstamping bill is sitting on his desk, and as far as I know, he hasn't signed it yet. Will this become law, if just ignored? Then Arnold can claim to be a "good" Republican because he didn.t sign more gun control into law. Anyone know?

U.S. Constitution - Article I Section 7 clause 2:
"If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law."

I believe most (all?) States operate the same way. Time limits may be different though - The Idaho Constitution gives the Governor 5 days to veto a bill.

Hmmm... I guess what we sometimes think we know turns out not to be so.

Our legislature is in recess and the Gov. is in Shanghai. Time will tell.

Thanks all.

Back