Signal Pistol firing shotgun shells, NFA?

Michael Anthony

My search-fu is weak today. If you come across a Signal Pistol Mark V by Sedgley and it's got a 12 gauge buckshot shell in it, and it appears someones been firing it that way, do you have an NFA violation?

It seems to fit the definition of Any Other Weapon if you are using fixed shotgun shells in it.

Yes, smooth bored pistol, and firearm over .50 caliber. Would be a large bore DD, not an AOW maybe.

I can't tell, actually, since large bore DD covers smooth and rifled, and usually an AOW pistol is smoothbore under 50 cal. Either large bore DD, or a short barreled shotgun, now that I think of it, with SBS being more likely.

Link

From that, it looks like it would indeed be an AOW afterall. Stupid 1934NFA is so hard to understand...

"Flare Launcher Inserts - $200.00 if installed in a flare launcher (making of AOW)"

Yes, but, since a Shotgun is a weapon that's designed to be fired from the shoulder, so any smooth bore "weapon" with a bore that's bigger than .50" and fires modern ammunition and wasn't previously a shotgun would be a DD, correct?

Back