Sighting-in Scope

Prof

I know this is pretty basic, but my memory isn't what it used to be. Growing up, my dad taught me to sight in a scope by firing one shot, then adjusting the crosshairs to the bullethole OR to the bullseye, then firing again until they came together. Or something like that. Haven't done it for years and can't remember how! Can anybody set me straight on this? Thanks!

Two ways to do it.
Fire a shot at a mark, then with the gun held steadily in place, aimed at the same mark, without moving the gun, you should be able to adjust the scope so that the crosshairs are lined up on the bullethole. The scope should now be pointing where the barrel was pointing If the gun moves from where it was pointed for the first shot, the adjustment will not be right.
Unless you have a vise, it is probably just as easy to use the clicks on the scope. Measure the distance up/down, and right/left from point of aim to the hole, then turn the adjustment knobs the required number of clicks for proper alignment. Most scopes will have the # of clicks per inch and direction on the knobs.
Either way will usually take several attempts. It is usually best to fire a group and adjust from the center of the group rather than firing single shots and trying to make up adjustments that are also compensating for all of the combined factors of rifle accuracy, shooter ability, wind, etc.
hope this helps,
bergie

Prof, In theory you could aim at your bullet hole and center the cross hairs on the bull.
You would need to lock the rifle down very solidly before making the scope adjustments though. Bore sight it and walk her home is the best advise that I can give to you.
Hank

Been away on business and just found these replies. Thank you, gentlemen, you have answered my question!

Back