Sighting in scope

Bushwhacker

Went to range the other day and shot my Mini-14, tried to sight the scope in but...

fired gruop of 3 adjusted scope, fired 3 more still off adjusted scope again, fired 3 more total failure way off. went thru the same as before and could not get it closer than 3 to 5 inch groups (was staying on paper). Could there be something wrong with scope or is this the best to expect out of a mini-14? was shooting 100 yards with Bushnell 3x9
TIA

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

The Mini 14 or 30 isn't exactly a tack driver. Groups generally run around 3". I'd recheck scope mounts and try at 50 yds. Set it there and then move out to 100. Also try some different ammo. Some guns can be real finicky about what they'll shoot.

Just like Gary and Greyfox said, except the early models (read 180-series) had the slow twist and were very accurate.

------------------

AFFA

Thanks guys, I was using milatary surplus, so I guess I get some of the "exspensive " ammo the next time I go and will let you know how that works out.

------------------

Based on my experience, you are lucky to get 3-5 inch groups out of your Mini-14. I had a Ranch rifle and never could get it to shoot even that well. I tried three different scopes and over a dozen different types of ammo (factory and handloads). I glass bedded the stock, tuned the trigger, and built a special weight to add rigitity to the thin barrel. The final solution was to sell it.

What is you mini14's tactical role?. Mine is a "cornered rat stand psycho-crutch" and is not expected to be used at ranges over 100m anyway. I can see wanting accuracy in a stand-off rifle, but isn't the mini more of an M1 carbine replacement for non-C3 folks?

Cornered Rat, mine is for being able to reach out and touch some idiot,rabid dog (2or4 legged)if the occasion ever presents itself ;) I've got a 3x9 Bushnell on it and it works pretty good as far as magnafication goes. I'm happy with it and most likly wuold not have to use it over 50 to 75 yards.

------------------

Cornered Rat:

A classmate asked the same question at the factory and our instructor couldn't respond (they're concerned about churning out guns, not keeping historical records).

Until 1987, the Mini14 had a 1-10" twist. It was changed to 1-7" to stabilize the new military 62 grain bullet. When Ruger learned that the faster twist did not work for the 55 gr bullet in their gun (not to say it won't work in other makers' guns), Ruger changed the twist to 1-9" in 1996.

Concerning serial #s, there is no difference between the 181-187 series. They just ran out of numbers and had to up them. The 180s are a different matter (lighter bolt, different bolt stop, slide, recoil pad, sometimes front and rear sight) and the 190 series are saved for the full auto versions.

I know that there's been a slight change in the receiver as recent as two years ago. The rest of the parts will interchange, but not the stocks.

4v50 Gary

I am going to submit my Mini-14 to the Ruger museum. It must be the most accurate, reliable Mini-14 ever produced. (or at least ever owned by an internet user. ;))

I would be very dissapointed in my Mini-14 if it approached 5 inch groups at 100 yards at it shoot owith iron sights.

I'm a new net reader and enjoyed the input on the minnie 14.The scope problem sounds like mounts not tight on scope,gun, and or scope has internal problems. Ammo could cause problems also.I have a 180 series and shoot 300 yards off a bench rest at a balloon 6" in dia. I use a 55 grain bullet soft nose,with 23grains 3031 powder. I think Old Biker may be right on the accurate part.

------------------

Back