Sighting in question.

Colten519

I went to the range this past weekend to check the sight on my wife's gun before deer season. I bought 2 boxes of hornady SST for her 25-06. I use the SST in my 270 and they shoot great. My first shot hit low and to the left, second shot hit center but low, third shot hit high and right. I let the gun cool and thought maybe shooter error. So tried again. This time shot hit almost dead center. Thought ok this is good. Next shot low and left again. Third shot high and right. Let gun cool again. Over the course of shooting several more rounds it seemed the bullets never hit anywhere in the same area. I'm not necessarily the best shot but prior to checking hers I checked my final reloads in my 257 weatherby and had 3 shot groups you could cover with a dime. Could this be the ammo, scope or what?

Thanks,
Colten

what he said

Follow eastbanks advice, I'd do it in this order: tighten up your action/bedding screws and check the screws on your rings and bases......clean the bore w/ copper solvent, & bristle brush, get the bore right. I'd shoot again at this point, say 1 round as a fouling shot and 3 for group.

If the rifle doesn't group, I'd try 3 rds of another type of ammo. Still no joy, I'd swap the scope for one known as reliable and shoot for group again.

Thanks guys. I trust the scope because I made some reloads for her with a mid range charge of powder to practice with (she's new to shooting and hunting so it was cheaper to make some light reloads for her) The reloads actually shot really well for her so I know the scope should be fine because she was grouping them nicely. I'll check all the screws and try a different grain

Colten519

Just a quick question. I noticed that you made not mention of how large the group was. So, how large was your groups?

Update: tightened everything up and clean the gun really well and shot some different ammo. Got good groups this time. With the hornady ammo I'd say the group's were easily 6-7" apart so not acceptable by any means especially for my wife who is still learning. Got the group's down to 1" so we are good now. Thanks for all the help guys!

did you adjust your scope any during the sight in?

From the weird but true file:
I have a Nikon scope that was a booger--I would shoot a group. I would then adjust the scope to correct that group and my next group would be wildly different. I would adjust again and that next group would be radically different from where I expected it to be. Sometimes the change would fall short of what I had "clicked." Other times the change was much more than I had "clicked."

Eventually, the old guy at the range said "yeah, those Nikons have nylon gears in the adjustment tubes. They don't always engage nor set perfectly. Do this when you make a change:
and he took the butt end of an empty cartridge and proceeded to very solidly tap the faces of my adjustment screws before and after each change."

Problem solved. Now, when I make a 2 click adjustment, I whack it before and after the change and I get the 2 click change I'm expecting.

I just noticed that no mention was made of your bench/bag situation.

Are you shooting from a solid shooting bench or equivalent? Two point bag placement - one under forearm, one behind grip/wrist?? What range?? jd

It's solved now but I shoot with a bipod up from and two sandbags under the stock so as there is no movement. I would adjust the scope and it would go different but like I previously said I had it grouping nice with some light loads so the scope wasn't the problem. Just didn't like that ammo

Another trick to try when a scope's adjustment doesn't match up right with the clicks you put in, is to go past where you want, and then come back to it.

In other words, if you want four clicks up, go six and then come back two.

Sometimes doing that cancels out the slop in the adjustment system, sometimes not, you never know unless you try.

DO remember to try a few shots (At least) from the field positions that will be used when hunting. It CAN make a difference in your groups and even point of impact.

(bench vs tight sling hold, off bipod vs offhand, for example)

Back