Sighting in Mini14...and other matters

cornered rat

Finally got to fire my rifles again yesterday. Tried to zero in 10/22 and found it shoots to the right, slightly. How am I supposed to "drift" the sight? No way to know how much to move it...and what's the proper tool?

Mini14 showed one benefit of buying a used gun. It is right on for windage. I am beginning to really like aperture sight...might break down and get one for the 10/22...the factory stuff is hard to use. Prominent white diamond makes tiny white dot hard to focus on.

I can see major arguments for marksmanship with the mini14...40 rounds rapid fire and I had heat shimmer over the barrel, hard to aim. The rifle got HOT after 50 or so...best argument for nixing full-auto I have yet to see. Basically, it requires fire discipline in semi-automatic, aimed fire mode!

I fixed one of the aftermarket magazines and it no longer double-feeds or gets in the way of the bolt, so I have a 100 rounds usable at a time. Need to fix another next range trip. Glad the ammo isn't too much...I amcertainly a lousy shot even off a rest, far worse off-hand...I suspect whimpy arms have something to do with it, can't keep on-target without the point of aim wavering. What was that Cooper's comment about using a support whenever possible?
Blast wasn't as noticable last time and kick just wasn't at all. Again, I keep thinking of getting an SMLE or a Mosin-Nagant and then realize that the extra weight and a lot of extra kick would mean I'd never shoot it. It also reinforces my preference for military calibers...223 is not that expensive at 14 cents/round....vs. even 30-30.

BTW, a new pictures are in http://ddb.com/RKBA/ccw/. Plan to show a SHELL OIL ad about personal safety, comment on applying Victorian standards to women, rant about victim disarmament+set-up for thugs, comment on some historic trends and counter-trends and wrap up with a poster. (and yes, 9x18 Russian ammo does not work in the .32 PPK/s shown. But my pictures of PPK magazines were done on Kodachrome, don't have it back yet).

On the plus side, Q's PPK seems to be getting broken in...yesterday PMC ball and even flat-nosed FN ammo fed just fine.

------------------
If you believe in freedom and means of protecting it...you might be a gun nut.
http://ddb.com/RKBA

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited February 25, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited February 25, 1999).]

I don't know if there is a "tool" per se, for drifting the 10/22's rear sight. Traditionally, people usually just "tap" it into the right spot. Make sure you use something that is not going to mar the finish and don'twhack the sight itself, just the base. You might try holding a large punch on a rubber washer or something similar oer hte base, then tap on the punch with a small hammer. Drift the sight to the left a little and you should be all set.

cornered rat~

I think that if you did get a Moisin-Nagant, you'd be surprised at the LACK of kick this fine rifle emits. My 1944 carbine feels rather like an SKS, and the rounds ( though corrosive) are quite cheap. plus the heft of larger caliber rifles, I believe, adds to the stability of the weapon in off-hand shooting. The Mini14 and 10/22 are fairly lightweight weapons.

**the world's too big and life's too short**

Youre saying your mosin-nagant CARBINE shooting 7.62x54R kicks like an SKS?!?!? My 91/30 kicks WAY more than my SKS. Are you sure youre thinking of the right gun?

I don't think I'd like the kick. However, I do remember having no trouble aiming an autoloading 12ga (heavy)...so I don't know what the problem is. Will try amazon for Cooper's book now.

Just bought the book. Hope it will help. OTOH, I now remember why I prefer being in the Propaganda and Doublegoodthought Corps...I'd make a singularly lousy rifleman.

Gunguy~

Well, I went out the other day to do a comparison test of felt recoil between the previously mentioned Mosin-Nagant carbine, an SKS with standard stocks, and my 22" .308 .

I guess my memory is somewhat kiltered because, yup, that M-N kicks quite a bit harder than the SKS. And with the metal butt-plate, it feels a little more severe than the .308.

So I stand corrected. But, again, for the money, I think the purchase of an M-N would serve well as way to overcome recoil-sensitivity for a really fair price.

I agree, I consider my Mosin Nagant 91/30 to be one of the best purchases I ever made. Picked it up for $80 at a gun show, and the thing is in near-mint condition, bright and shiny bore, good wood, good metal. Whats the best group youve shot with your M-N? I can usually pull a 1.5-2" group at 100 meters with iron sights and surplus ammo. I plan on bedding the action, floating the barrel, mounting a scope and working up some handloads for this rifle to see what it can really do. I'll probably change out the ugly wood stock as well.

gunguy~

Well, I paid $49 for my 1944 carbine, mint condition Polish variant with bayonet. The stock is flawless, the steel and the finish looks nicer than any new off the rack Kmart rifle. The only prob was the bore, which took quite a bit of time to get shiny again.

I usually get a 1.5" group @ 100 yards with iron sights...which is quite exceptional considering the primitive trigger and my own lack of shooting skill. And in a 5 shot group I usually have 2-3 holes that are overlapping. However my impact point is always about 9" low and 5-6" to the left. This is with the rear sight set at 100. How do I adjust the front sight? It is different from an SKS because the SKS tool won't fit. Anyhoo it is one of my favourite 'bargain' guns. ALMOST as good as a couple Makarovs I have, but that is a different story... :) happy shooting!

Sight adjustment on the M-N is pretty primitive. You take a brass puch, a hammer, put the punch against the base of the front sight, and tap. Just tap it in the opposite direction you want the bullet to go.

Gunguy~

But how 'bout the elevation of the front sight? I can't tell if this is adjustable or not. I tried turning it but it won't budge. The drift part was fairly easy. Maybe if I tweak with the rear sight...... :)

I dont think you can adjust it for elevation.
The post is fixed in place, it doesnt turn or slide up and down. I'm not 100% sure, but I doesnt look like theres any way at all to adjust the elevation.

Back