Sighting in a .243

Sisco

Greetings
Had to borrow a rifle for deer season, a friend lent me his Ruger mod 77 in .243. He had been shooting 80gr bullets but I'm going to use Win. Power Point 100gr which means I'll probably have to resight the scope. If I zero it at 100 yds, approx how far over will I have to hold at 200?
Thanks in advance - SK

well....

We own a .243 and also shoot 100gr for deer. I believ ours is sighted at 1 1/2 or 2" high at 100 yards. The 243 is a fairly flat shooter, and that should do ya our to 400. I looked on that sight, and didn't see alot of common firearms. Maybe I didn't bavigate it as thouroughly as I should have, but I didn't see .243,6mm, .270 and many other centerfire rifle cartridges. Oh well, good luck, BadMed.

Not Enough Info

BadMedicine,
You are right....that sight doesn't have as
much information as I thought it did.
However, You provided SK with the information
that he needed.....thanks. :)

Sighting In

For all practical purposes with the usual hunting bullet weights: For the .243, .270, .308 and .30-'06, if you sight in 2" high at 100 yards, you'll be about dead on at 200, about 6" low at 300 and not quite two feet low at 400.

You'll make more error from mis-estimating range than you will from being off from using my numbers.

Art

On our bigger guns we sight them at 3' high at 100.
these guns include .30-06, 338, and 375. These guns drop more, and for the large game you'll be shooting with them, 3" is still in the kill area either way.

i have a Pact II chronograph with the ballistics computer built in. in figuring the 100 yard sight in for hundreds of standard load combos in standard calibers like .243, .25-06, 6.5x55, .270, 7mm Mauser, .308, .30-06 ect. i have found that if you set your scope so that the point of impact is from 1.5 to 3 inches high at 100 yards you will stay inside the kill zone on a whitetail deer out as far as most guys have any business shooting at a deer.

having said that.

for those marksmen that can pull off the longer shoots on a regular basis...they know how high to set at 100. plus they know how far thier loads fall at 200, 300, 400+ ect.

WHY?

because they set up targets at those ranges and shoot them. ballistic tables and computers are just starting points, not bibles.

exp. pact II chrono
.243 Win with 100 grain Nosler partition
ballistic coefficent .380
muzzle velocity 2900 fps
scope center 1.5 inches above bore
altitude 780 feet above sea level

kill zone 6 inches

100 yards 2.6" high
200 yards 1.7" high
300 yards 5" low
400 yards 18.9" low

maximum point blank range 277 yards

anyone that can shoot a deer effectively under field conditions at over 277 yards already knows enough that he won't be asking for these figures.

good shooting

sorry i did not fully read the original question. assuming you power point has a ballistic coff. of close to .380 and you velocity is 2900 fps...

if you set a 100 yard zero, at 200 yards you would be 3.5" inches below the line of sight

still on the deer but at the bottom of the kill zone. you would be better off two and one half inches high at 100 yards that would take you out to 280 yards or so without hold over. just aim at the center of the chest and fire.

good shooting

Thanks for all the input, I'll take it to the range tomorrow. My primary hunting plan is to take a deer with a handgun - .41 mag - but I'd hate to find myself looking at a trophy buck and not able to get within 200 yards so I'll be taking the rifle along as a backup.

Back