Sight vs. Point shooting

raven1

Just a quick question if anyone knows the answer... There is a difference between sight shooting (concentrating on the front sight)and point shooting (concentrating on what you are shooting at). I was wondering...do competative shooters point shoot or sight shoot? Would there be pros and cons to each one? Would an IPSC shooter shoot different than a defensive pistol competative shooter? I know a lot of shooters use the optic sights but for those using iron sights, what do you think? I would like to start training and someday competative shoot for fun and this info would help me out. Thanks

Although the top shooters say that they see the front sight on every shot, I find I can run faster if I point shoot everything out to about 12 feet and use the front sight on targets further out. You'd be surprised how accurate you'll get with enough practice point shooting.

You might consider buying Ayoob's book Stressfire. What he suggests is that at close distances, you bring the gun up to line of sight, but don't actually look at the sights. You will see the sights in your peripheral vision, with the front sight above the rear sights. You can index the gun pretty well this way, out to 15 or 20 feet.

M1911

I use about four different sight pictures depending on the degree of difficulty. I also either follow the sight or aquire the target and then the sight depending on spacing. Enos' book has a great chapter on sighting.

I always use some form of sight picture even if it is just a quick alignment. However, I have seen Master class IPSC shooters fire through a portal at close targets literally from the hip.

M1911--Do have the book Stressfire and have read it. It is a very good book. Sounds like with enough practice, point shooting is best in close distances due to quickness, and sight shooting is best for longer distances.

Ron--Which book are you referring too?

This is interesting, because of an experience that I had shooting in an IPSC comp on sunday. I had just installed a new red fiber optic front sight on my Norinco 1911, and hadn't shot in a competition with it up till last sunday. I had 're-sighted' the gun at my local range...both from a supported rest, and shooting off-hand, just to make sure that I was 'right on' at about 50 feet.
What transpired at the match was this...my hits on the cardboard targets were almost exactly to point of aim. The white steel was a different story. I just DON'T miss steel targets...on sunday, I couldn't hit them. Period.
I think that with the 'old' black iron sight, I was 'point shooting' the steel before...now that I have a very highly visible front sight, I'm actually 'aiming' at the steel...and missing.
Anybody else had this sort of experience?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>At less than 4 yards you can't miss the target, so acquiring the sight picture doesn't seem worth the time.[/quote]

Perhaps you can't miss, but it's been done by others. ;)

Hey all

I personally point shoot out to about 15 ft. Now realize that I practice this alot and it has taken alot of rounds and patience to get there. I do this from holster and also from a ready stance. There are other ways out there and alot of better shooters than I so try different ways and ask other shooters.

Best wishes Best luck Poacher.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> at close distances, you bring the gun up to line of sight, but don't actually look at the sights. You will see the sights in your peripheral vision, with the front sight above the rear sights. You can index the gun pretty well this way, out to 15 or 20 feet.
[/quote]

Have any of you seen Lenny Magill's video, "The Truth About Point Shooting"?
He's talking about self defense, but this is also what he recommends.

What do you think of him in general?

TOR

[This message has been edited by TearsOfRage (edited October 09, 2000).]

Back