Sight Picture on S&W 640

Winston

What is the correct sight picture on a Smith and Wesson 640-1.

I'm trying to sight in a Crimson Laser Sight. I'm not sure what the
correct picture is for the front sight/rear sight alignment. This is
a 2 1/8" barrel.

Thanks for the reply. What I'm trying to get at is this. Shoud
the top of the front sight be level with the rear sight, or should the base of the front sight be level with the rear sight?

Ok. Bare with me here. Since the front sight is "on top" of the
line of sight of the barrel, if I level the the two sights, wouldn't
that cant the shot "low"

Rear sight ---- ----- < - Front sight

--------------------- < - Bore sight

Sounds like a case of justification for NOT using laser sight. You really should learn to use the mechanical sights on the gun untill you get quite good with it.....then play with the laser.

Laser is nice but not infallible nor a substitute for good shooting skills. Certain lighting conditions can render laser useless, batteries tend to fail at the wrong time, and the laser can lose zero. If your skills are adequate, you are good to go even if the laser is inop.

Not a slam, just suggestion.

Sam

I agree, lasers can be cool and maybe useful under the right situations, but they will never replace good understanding and use of iron sights. The Crimson Trace revolver grips seem to be the best of the bunch though, so i will be interested to see how you do with them long term. I would strongly suggest taking the batteries out, shooting the gun a couple hundred rounds to get used to the iron sights, then put the batteries back in and start working with the laser.

I would also suggest that you practice using the laser from an 'aimed' position i.e looking over the top of the gun at the dot. This should help to burn some muscle memory in to help with your shootoing and keep you in roughly the same shootin stance with the laser or the iron sights.

IMHO laser sights slow you down! I can grab the front sight of my 640 quicker than a laser because there is that dely looking down range for the DOT. Its a small delay but its enough that it could cost me if it was real:eek:

Back