Sight Picture and Bi-Tri Focals

MtnMike1

I'm sure at least one or two of you fellows where similar glasses as me. what adjustments have you made to improve your sight picture?

Mike,

You didn't give much information, so I'll do the best I can.

Since this is a handgun forum, I'll figure you probably have a handgun.
Your tri focals also tell me you may be over 40 years old.

I started out shooting wearing my multi vision glasses, and it worked for a while. Then I started to get severe eye strain, along with blurry/double vision after 15-20 minutes, and would have to stop.

A little detective work revealed my glasses were just a bit blurry at 36", where my front sight was. I had a pair of single vision computer glasses that were focused to 36", for my computer screen. This helped a lot.

The targets were a bit blurry at 7-15 yards, but the front sight focused fine. At 25 yards, targets were too out of focus to hit much, but at least I could shoot out to 15 yards.

I figure if home defense arises I may not be wearing any glasses at all. But, I also figure it will all happen well inside 5 yards, and will probably use combat sighting or point and shoot.

Two weeks ago, I had laser surgery to remove a cataract and correct astigmatism on my dominant eye. I haven't been to the range yet, but in between the blurriness of healing, I can clearly see the front sight and hundreds of yards beyond. The surgery is going to be a very satisfactory and permanent solution.

Hope I guessed right and gave you pertinent information.

At first my bifocals threw me off but after a few years and a few thousand rounds it dont make any difference now. Just keep practiceing and it will get better.

Thanks guys, yeah I wear trifocals. When focusing on the front sight the target is very blurry at 10 yards or more. I'm new at this so maybe with more practice I can train my eyes better.

This method works for me, being right eye dominant.
Glasses with the optics in the right eye focused for the sights, and the optics for the left eye for the target distance.

This method works for me, being right eye dominant.
Glasses with the optics in the right eye focused for the sights, and the optics for the left eye for the target distance.

A local ophthamologist who specializes in Sports Medicine applications suggested the same for me -- and I used that approach for quite a while. (This was temporarily interrupted by a cataract, since fixed.)

You find the target with your weak eye, and get the sights aligned properly with the dominant eye -- and as noted, it'll work better than you think. (You can switch eyes quickly to confirm alignment.)

Keep your trifocals for other places, but plain old bifocals will work better at the range or in gun matches -- especially if one of the areas is set to focus on the gun's front sight.

re: ophthamologist. I thought I knew how to spell that word, but my version drove my spell-checker nuts.

Either the sights or the target will always be blurry even if you don't wear corrective lenses, simple because you can't focus at two different distances at once.

The sights are what should be clear, and go for the center on the target

I wear trifocals. The middle correction is what works at sight or computer screen distance. It has taken some practice, but it has become enough of a habit that I do not have to think about it anymore. I will admit that glasses are a pain and that getting old is not for sissies.:D

eyeballin'; blind, bat, correlation

My guns wear a bright front sight: Millett orange-ramp front blades on my DA Rugers, fiber-optic rods and BrightSights paint on my autos.

g.willikers said:
Glasses with the optics in the right eye focused for the sights, and the optics for the left eye for the target
WESHOOT2 said:
My guns wear a bright front sight:
I use a combination of both; FO Green on the front, and some lens inserts that can fit ESS glasses or goggles. Now that I see how well the glasses work in that configuration, I'm getting everyday glasses set up the same way.

Back