Sight adjustment

Micro man

Recently purchased a used Springfield 1911, I have shot it several times and it consistently shoots low and to the left. It is a MIL SPEC model so the sights are non adjustable
I was wondering the best way to correct the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Micro man

Right hand shooter's often shoot low left. work on your trigger pull and placement of the finger on the trigger and it may help you.

Low and left is the shooter 99.99% of the time. It means you are anticipating the recoil and squeezing your fingers to try to compensate. I know, I know, you are a great shot and your buddies shot it with the same results. But that's what it is.

As far as adjusting point of impact, you can drift the rear sight for windage. That's about it. Or you can start replacing front sights to move POI up/down.

What, a flaw in my grip impossible! . Just kidding, I’m not someone who feels they have this shooting thing down to perfection.

Next time at the range I will try to keep a consistent grip thru the shot.
Thanks for the advice.

What, a flaw in my grip impossible! . Just kidding, I’m not someone who feels they have this shooting thing down to perfection.

There are actually at least two different "technique" problems that can cause low-and-left.
1. The trigger finger is "pushing" sideways on the trigger instead of pulling it straight back. That can be caused by anticipating the recoil as Scortch mentioned. Or it can be as simple as trying to use the crook of the finger instead of the pad.
2. Trying to "milk" the grip. Imagine you are milking a cow. Your whole hand is contracting around the teat. Well, doing that with your grip hand will also cause you to shoot low and left. Breaking this habit requires lots of good practice with using only the muscle that controls the finger actually moving.

The way to check for shooter error is a good stiff set of sandbags or other pistol rest or else to find a good 1911 shot and see what he can do with it or find a southpaw and see if it still shoots low and left for him (low and to the right is normal for a flinching left-handed shooter). If the sight position error turns out to be legitimate, you can shorten the front sight with a file until elevation is correct, and then apply cold blue to it. Once the elevation is correct, drift the rear sight to the right until that is corrected.

Alternately, you could send the slide to Springfield Armory with a nice tight group showing the POI error and ask them to correct the sights to match. If they are willing to do it, with indicators, they should be able to make that correction without you having the expense of sending the frame to them. However, they may not be willing to try, as they may want to see what the source of the problem is as well as to be able to test the finished result. That gives them the opportunity to replace any defective part that might be present.

Back