SIGArms P225: Range Report

PeterGunn

I had been in the market to supplement my awsome Two-tone 226 for a while now and what may seem an obvious choice to some took me a little time. When I finally came to my sences and disciplined myself for my temporary lapse in judgement, I jumped on to Auction Arms and found a SIG P225 for $450.00. Mike @ Precision Armory treated me very well and within a couple of weeks I had my hands on what I thought was the finest pistol I had ever held. Not necessarily better than the 226, you can't compare a double stack to a single stack fairly, but the finest single single stack for sure.

I have always been a faithful reader of the The Firing Line and some posters were complaining about the 225 not being accurate out of the box, printing low, etc. Some dude was so disappointed, he sold his 225 (WOW). Being a little apprehensive I just got to take my 225 to the range this last weekend.

Muttering a prayer that 450.00 was not spent on a poor shooter I fired the first 8 rounds of 9mm through the little giant....All 8 shots went into the 9/10 ring at 15 feet, then at 25 feet, finally at 50 feet (well some of the shots snuck out into the 7/8 area)

But was I pleasently surprised, the 225 was every bit as accurate as the 226 and the differences in the grips did not impact my shooting poorly. I am usually not the type to just go gaa-gaa over anything really, and I am not the finest shot by any means, but I must say that all the glowing reports about the 225 are absolutely true and then some. No break in time, no hicups, no FTFs, nothing just SIG "perfection"

This great gun makes me look good on the range...I can handle that!!!

I liked mine so much that I bought another one. Put a Sprinco recoil reducer in them and they are real soft shooting pistols.

<liked mine so much that I bought another one. Put a Sprinco recoil reducer in them and they are real soft shooting pistols.>

Jeff-------Can you give more feedback on the recoil reducer-I'm in the break-in period on my new 225---------how to these reducers affect performance/reliability??
Thanks

I didnt really care for my 225....

When I brought my new 225 to the range I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it(I guess I was combat accurate)...maybe I wasnt use to the single stack grip...who knows....the accuracy was nowhere near my 226...not even close...

The P225 is a great pistol, probably the most underrated SIG of the lineup. I carried one for over a year, even had it refinished in bead-blasted nickel finish. I had to get rid of it when I moved to the US, and I was sorry to see it go.

The new P239 is in some respects superior, but the P225 fits big hands better.

sjg26, the Sprinco reducer has no effect on reliability. Its performance is that it makes a gun shoot 'softer'. On a P225 with a Sprinco the gun recoils softer than an H&K P7. The P7 being one of the softest shooting 9mm's on the market IMO. I would not say that the Sprinco is THE choice of every gun, but it is a good choice for the P225. I encourage everyone to try one because Sprinco offers a 30 day money back guarantee no questions asked. For example, we did not see the Sprinco as being at all effective on the Beretta 92 pistols we tried at EOSM, though they work well on SIG, 1911, and Browning HP's.

I also love my 225 ... which model of the Sprinco reducer have you all tried? They make a standard one and a "COR-BON" model for hotter loads ... I was happy to see that the Sig models were among the least expensive!

Thanks,
Saands

I sold my p225 to Jeff OTMG about a month ago. The gun was for my lady and she didn't like how it felt to her. I also thought the trigger was very heavy, not sig-like compared to a 220 which I plan to own someday. My p225 was very accurate, but it just didn't feel right.

Greg

A second vote for the Springco. Jeff let me try his at the EOSM in my SIG 220 and the difference was amazing, even with already-soft 185-grain reloads. It worked nicely on the 9mm too.

I keep saying I'm going to get a 9mm pistol for my wife because she doesn't like .45 recoil, but to be honest a Sprinco for the 220 would probably do the trick for a lot less money. Of course, then I would have absolutely no excuse for a 9mm.

The only problem with the 225 as far as I could tell is that it is a little too short for my big paws. My wife liked it much better than the 220.

Back