SIG vs SW vs Colt - which .45 is the one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequickad

O.K. here is an easy question. Let's say you have $1K so the choices are among the three:

SIG P220 Sport
SW 945
Colt Special Combat Government

Which one? and Why?
thanks everyone in advance for the responses.

From the selection, sounds like you are looking for a competition pistol. In which case, my vote goes for the Colt Govt. I have a Colt Combat Elite which is lightly modified for IPSC (back when I had the time to do so about 10 years ago!). The Colt was a great gun, although it is a series 80.

I also have a P220, the brisk recoil and DA/SA trigger are not conducive for competition, although it would be my first choice for a carry gun if we ever get the chance to do so in Kalifornia (super highly unlikely). I am not familiar with the sport model per se but it looks like it has the same pinned slide and aluminum frame as the regular P220, so I suspect it is not as tough as a 1911, but I could be wrong.

But if you already have a limited 1911, the P220 sport sounds like a great novelty gun to have in the safe!

Yes, sorry I forgot to give the requirements, it is for very limited competition and target shooting. I had a Goldcup and wasn't too impressed with it. And I am not ready yet to go for one of those $3K race guns from Wilson or Ed Brown or other top gunmiths.

By the way, the SIG P220/229 Sport series are quite different and is made completely out of stainless steel. Check it out at www.sigarms.com thank you for the advice.

Sig 220 is a geat gun, 1911 is the most popular way to go for IPSC best trigger, the 220Sport with it's double action trigger and compensator would have to be used in the open class where those Race 1911 would eat up that Sig. The smith is a good duty gun but like the Sig not the best choice for competition. For limited class in IPSC I would recommend a Hi-cap 1911 or a Glock in 40 or 45 to make major. Personally I use a Glock 21 in IPSC with a 3.5 trigger and It's alot faster than the double action pistols you described, but still not as smooth as a 1911, but The Glock never jams something I can't say for the other 1911 I have used.

Sorry! but HK USP is not under consideration.
Although the Expert model looks interesting with the O-ring seal on the bbl. The USP grip is too FAT.

Given the choices - the SIG is the way to go.
In fact - a regular Sig P220 would serve you just fine.

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."[/b]
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

You can't go wrong with the S&W 945. I have the 945, a Kimber Stainless Gold Match and a Series '70 Colt Gold Cup. All fire very well and are very accurate. Whereas the Kimber can be a bit finicky at times with what you feed it , the 945 willl eat anything I've put through it. As far as accuracy is concerned, the Kimber and 945 have the edge on the Colt. Of the three, the 945 feels and looks best (to me)and there's no doubt that the machining is better than the Kimber or Colt. One disclaimer-I don't have expereince with other pistols you mentioned. Hope this helps.

Pete

I got to agree with the comments made by Mr.
George Hill; for all practical purposes the
Sig-Sauer P220A would be my choice.

------------------
Ala Dan

Buy the S&W 945. I have owned all three that you have mentioned and the 945 is without a doubt the best .45 ever made in the 1000 dollar price range.

I have several Colts that I'm not too impressed with, among them a new Gold Cup and Python I bought a year ago. The newest Colts appear better made, but the repair shop still sucks. I wouldn't chance it on a gun I couldn't inspect before buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back