SIG Trax,

bamaranger

Wandered into the local big, high dollar gun shop (aren't they all these days?) and noted a very sparse looking SIG Cross bolt rifle in the racks. Very plain Jane and utilitarian. Notable immediately, 16" bbl and simple, folding "L" shaped non adjustable stock. Next, by golly, it's in my favorite cartridge, .308 WIN. Feather-light, online search states 6.1 lbs. That dear readers, is a full 7 ounces (supposedly) LESS than a Model 94 w/ 20" tube.
I wouldn't want to shoot a weekend match with it, but for a rifle carried alot and shot a little, what a dream. Screw a tidy LPV, maybe even a simple 1" tube model to keep weight to an absolute minimum and it might be the ultimate full power utility/GP rifle.

A mere $1400 bucks. No, I did not buy it. But who has? Anybody else handled one of these tidy little rifles?

I haven't seen that one yet, but I like the Cross. I haven't bough a Cross either, but I've fondled it a lot at the big boy candy store. The problem is I have a lot of rifles that fill the niche a Cross or Trax would fill.

I really don't need a folding stock unless I was hunting where I flew in by bush plane needing a compact rifle. It would be nice when flying for hunts by commercial air to have a case that doesn't look like a long gun case. However, last time I flew to AK for a hunt while riding the airport shuttle, I got asked what instrument I played when they saw my 4 gun SKB case on wheels.

new

One of my shooting pals, who has a full dress Cross and is a a fan of the design and chassis rifles in general, had not heard of the TRAX model either. I am of the impression it is very new to the market. As a general rule, the chassis rifles do not appeal to me, despite all their advantages. Heck, I'm still getting used to synthetic stocks of any kind! ;)
But the TRAX absolutely spartan construction screams utility. I don't need a folder either. Folding usually means wobble, ...eventually. I've put a fixed stock on an AR carbine cause I despise the tubular collapsible stock. Were it mine, (if I had $1400 to spare) the stock would fold very little if at all. The thing would store very easily if that were a parameter. So different to my usual tastes, it has caught my eye. But.....
My Ruger Predator 18" weighs 1 oz more and is 2 inches longer. It does not fold. It can be converted to ACIS mags if I were so inclined, I have the kit. Bought as a blem, it cost me about a 1/4th of what a TRAX would cost me, maybe even less. Shoots lights out. It is not a SIG but a blue collar price point rifle. It'll have to do.

Back