Sig Trailside Range Report

Curuzer

Just got back from the range where I shot my NIB Sig Trailside 6" Target. Here is my report:

Stats:

- Distance: 20 yards
- Ammo: 300 rounds CCI Blazer
- Shooter: Me, usually mediocre
- First experience with 22 pistol (I usually shoot a Sig P239 .40 or an HK USPc40).

Fit & Finish

The Sig Trailside has a one piece, integrated cast and machined steel frame and barrel. The slide is also cast steel with some sort of matte stainless finish. The machining is wonderful and smooth. The grips are laminated blue and gray wood with a semi-gloss finish. Overall I found the finish and workmanship to be outstanding. I must note that the grip came loose at the range after 200 rounds and I had to tighten it - it shouldn't be doing that again. Also, the slide and frame have some rough spots in hidden places - this is natural for cast metal parts in spots that haven't been machined.

The grips are quite comfortable with contoured rests for both the trigger finger and the thumb. The pistol weighs 30 ounces, mostly in the grip, making it quite light and easy to handle.

Function

Overall this is a great pistol. The first 200 rounds went through without a single glitch. CCI Blazer ammo seems to have a waxy finish on the bullets which came off on the feed ramp (I think it is some sort of lube to help prevent lead fouling). In the next two magazines, the last round failed to feed. I simply scratched the stuff off the ramp with my fingernail and kept shooting another 100 rounds with no further failures. Maybe I need better ammo next time, but CCI Blazer was on sale :)

I am normally a mediocre shooter. I bought the Trailside so I could shoot more regularly and become better. I would say today was quite an improvement. From an isoceles shooting stance I was able to shoot out the 9 & 10 rings on my target with less than 30 of the 300 rounds in the 7 & 8 rings at 20 yards. My last ten rounds I managed to shoot out the X from a new target. I have a hard time hitting the side of a barn with my Sig P239 .40S&W. I am very pleased with this pistol's performance. The trigger is very light (4 lbs.) with a sharp, crisp break. Very nice compared to my other pistols. Cases were ejected far and slightly forward to my right...the way I like it.

A few things that bothered me were the plastic magazine (what a piece of crap), the fact that only one comes with a $450 pistol, and the fact that the grip came loose. I noticed that the inside surface of the slide started to peel near the rail grooves. This is also happening to my Sig P239 so I assume it is normal, although also a little disappointing. Take down directions are not very clear, but field stripping is easy enough when you figure it out. There isn't much to clean other than running a bore snake through the barrel and brushing/wiping the slide. A few pointers on takedown: to remove the frame extension, loosen the screw 3-4 turns, squeeze the dimpled area, and slide forward off the frame. Also, when removing the slide, hold it tightly while pulling it back or it will slip and slingshot right into the barrel.

I will post an update after a few more trips to the range and some shooting from a benchrest. I highly recommend the Trailside at this point, whether it is the standard model for plinking or the target model for some harder core kicks and grins. The cheapest I have seen these pistols was online ($370 for a standard and $440 for a target, including $15 shipping and $25 transfer). I have been to every shop in my area and was able to find two target versions for $450. As I was buying mine, the shop owner took the other off the shelf and reserved it for his son. Needless to say, if you can find one grab it before its gone.

[Edited by Curuzer on 12-29-2000 at 11:24 AM]

Thanks!

I have a 4.5" Target model on order. It's nice to hear what I can expect from it. I did a search here for info on the Trailside, and earlier in the year there were a good number of complaints about the fit and finish (sounds like Sig was rushing them out of the factory). But from July on most of the comments have been positive.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your experience.

Dave

Guys one word of caution. Do not push the mag release too hard. There is not a proper relief cut in the frame for the little tab that holds the mag in. I had to fix one the other day. BTW with a little work you can get a 1 1/2 lb. trigger if you so desire.

Back