Sig Sauer P228

MSPHUNTER

Does anyone have a sig 228 that could comment on it, good/bad/indiffernt? I am thinking of buing one and want to know if it would be a good choice oveeer a 226 for concealed carrry.

You'd be hard pressed to find a 228 owner that doesn't rave about it.

I've had a 226 for years but picked up a 228 awhile back. I have to say, for most purposes I prefer the 228.
It is all the gun the 226 is but seems handier. And it actually feels better in my hand than the 226.. something I wouldn't previously have thought possible.

If you are eyeing the slightly larger capacity of the 226 (15rnds vs. 13rnds in the 228), remember that 226 mags will fit quite neatly into your 228 barely extending past the bottom of the grip.

Great choice with Sig. You'd love either. I'd say go with 228.

I've been looking for a new 9mm Sig for the past couple of months. Unfortunately, I can't get a 228 in the PRK until Sig submits them for review, and that ain't gonna happen until they rerelease it to the public. That leaves me with the 226 or the 229.

Anyway, I rented a 226 and a 228 tonight at a local range (they only had the 229 in .40). I was impressed with the 228 (damn it). It's almost as accurate as the 226 and fit my hand really well. I was surprised to find that the 228 and the 229 don't share the same grip diameter. Or at least it didn't feel like it. The 229 feels fatter to me. Although it's still a little large, the 226 felt better than the 229. So, it looks like the 226 for me. But, if I could, I would buy the 228 instead.

-Red-

Redhook,

The P229 9mm slide and frame is slightly smaller than the P229 in .40/.357. If you compare them side by side the .40 P229 is beefier.

The P229 in 9mm is identical to the P228 except for the stainless steel slide.

Thanks Ian11,

You bring up a good point and I'll have to try that. I really did my 229 to 226 grip comparison on two new guns after my time on the range. There was no sense in crying over the 228. I know the 226 was in 9mm, but I didn't check to see which caliber the 229 was. What doesn't make sense is, why manufacture the same gun differently? I thought that was the whole purpose of switching over to the milled stainless slide.

Now that I look as the specs for the 229 it does show a different weight for the 9mm version compared to the .40/.357sig. Thanks again for the info.

-Red-

Unlike the majority opinion I prefer my 226 over the 228. The grip of the 226 feels better in my hand than that of the 228. Concealing the 226 is just as easy if you choose the right holster and clothing.

Both are great guns.

I got to horse trading and got rid of my Sig 228...BIG mistake, I had to go out and buy another one...but you can bet I will not be getting rid of it! Fits my hand perfect and shoots like a million bucks...My favorite Sig

I did the same thing that KITT did...he's right big mistake. The Sig 228 fits my hand and shooting style like none other. I love the placement of the controls. The Sig also has a great trigger. Truly a wonderful gun! Buy it and I know you won't be disappointed!

My only real complaint is the high bore axis. It's beginning to bother me. I can't get over the feeling that I'm having to peer over the top of the gun to see the sights, it feels awkward. Still, the recoil is very soft, which is really what sold me on the 228.

And it's very accurate, too. :)

Wrong Question

MSPHunter

Unless you're really strange the question isn't 226 or 228 but rather which order to buy them.

The P226 and P228 are both winners. The 226 is kind of big for concealed carry. The 228 would be better in that case. I prefer the 226 for general use.

Reinforcing everyone

Well, like everyone has said before me, I'll say it again.

226 mags can fit in 228. Versatility

one feels better than the other. Most important factor in a weapon.

Concelability. 2nd Amendment

Sig.

MSPHUNTER:

My 228 is a tack-driver. The first time I shot it, I couldn't believe how well it felt: the trigger was smooth, the recoil was controllable, pointed naturally, extremely accurate. Of course, I have the same feelings for my 226, 229 and 239.

If its between the 226 and the 228 then I would personally go with the one which is most versatile for you. If CCW is its intednded use and you think the 226 is too big, then go with the 228, you won't get shorted. (pun intended). But, if you think you can carry the BIG 226, then go for it.

Another consideration could be the cost of the standard capacity mags: I can get 15 round Sig factory mags, used, for $40 still. The best I can find for the 228 is $70. (If anybody knows of a better deal please let me know. I refuse to pay $70).

Either way, best of luck.

Coley

Back