Sig Sauer ACP vertical grip okay?

Skarekrow88

I have one of Sigs adaptive carbine platforms and I was wondering if putting a vertical grip on the rail would make it an AOW? If so how difficult is it to do an ATF form 1 and get it registered?

Making an AOW via a Form 1 is a $200 tax stamp
Making an SBR via a Form 1 is a $200 tax stamp and you can use an actual shoulder stock.

I don't know what a "SIG adaptive carbine" is, but if it is actually a carbine a vertical front grip is fine. If it's a pistol, NFA laws come into play.
I never quite figured out the vertical front grip anyway. It was done on the Thompson to clear the drum magazines. Without the drums, the horizontal grip works just fine. What is the modern reasoning behind vertical grips?

I don't know what a "SIG adaptive carbine" is, but if it is actually a carbine a vertical front grip is fine. If it's a pistol, NFA laws come into play.

Yep, its a pistol. Or rather its an accessory you add to your pistol. Im not real clear on the usefullness, other then it adds rails all over your pistol and a sling attachment point.

For the OP. Adding a VFG to a pistol takes you into NFA territory, but one of the angled fore grips (like the Magpul AFG) does not.

What is the modern reasoning behind vertical grips?

Some folks prefer the ergonomics of a vertical front grip. Some folks, myself included, think that a vertical front grip gives them more control during rapid fire. Some folks like vertical grips because they are tacticool. Some folks like them because cranky old timers think horizontal grips are the end-all be-all of forend grips and they want to do something different.

Thats what I was afraid of. I suppose I'll just give the Magpul AFG2 a go. Thanks for all the input.
What is the modern reasoning behind vertical grips?
"...aid in the maneuverability of the firearm, since the natural angle of a person's outstretched hand is more oriented to grasping objects at a vertical angle, rather than a horizontal one perpendicular to the body."

"...aid in the maneuverability of the firearm, since the natural angle of a person's outstretched hand is more oriented to grasping objects at a vertical angle, rather than a horizontal one perpendicular to the body."

AKA... Marketing.;)

Well thank you, Willie-for that succinct reply.
Most of the old timers don't believe in reinventing the wheel, but you stubborn young ones have to find out for yourselves, I guess.

We're doin' our best, Bill!

514733529_d024f328b5.jpg

While some may pooh pooh the idea of forward vertical grips........do a mag dump or two on full auto and then you'll appreciate not having to grab a standard AR forearm.

Even sustained semiauto fire makes an M4 pretty darn warm.

Back