Sig Sauer .38 Super 125gr V-Crown in Clear Ballistics Gel.

5pins

1V56PWol.jpg

Test Gun: 1911
Barrel length: 5 inches.
Ammunition: Sig Sauer .38 Super 125gr V-Crown in Clear Ballistics Gel.
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: PACT 1 XP with inferred sky screens.
Five shot velocity average: 1212fps
Gel Temperature 73 degrees.

I don’t think the .38 Super had ever been a very popular round for self-defense and it certainly isn’t now. I did, however, pick up a beat-up franking 1911 recently and picked up a box of this Sig .38 Super V-Crown from Target Sports USA. The reality is, there isn’t very much out there in the realm of SD ammo in this caliber.

I got an average five-shot velocity of 1212fps with a high of 1218fps and a low of 1204fps. This gun shoots a little to the left for me and the bottom two holes in the target were probably me. This round refused to feed in my gun. I have never shot anything but ball in it before so I don’t know if its typical with this pistol but it probably is.

5pYCZudl.jpg

I wasn’t able to set up the chronograph for the induvial shots.

Starting off with bare gel, both rounds penetrated to 16 inches. Round one expanded to .64 inches and had a recovered weight of 123.9 grains. Round two expanded to .63 inches with a weight of 124 grains.

NW3kBgsl.jpg

Through heavy clothing, round one penetrated to 22.5 inches and expanded to .51 inches and a recovered weight of 123.9 grains. Number two penetrated to 23 inches, expanded to .54 inches and weight 123.9 also.

GZgsMLcl.jpg

5pins, Appreciate your testing the SIG 38 Super V-Crown ammo. I've tested some 38S V-Crown for velocity and functional reliability in my Supers, but I'm not sure I've ever seen any 38S SD type ammo tested in gel. Thanks for sharing your test results.

Looks like some nice expansion and consistent velocities. Thanks for sharing! Too bad .38 Super isn't more popular. I think it fits nicely in between 9mm and the .357 magnum. I think the 10mm is much more popular though and has more top end if fully loaded. Too bad so many 10mm loads are watered down to near .40 S&W loads.

Thanks for the report.

I tried the same ammo, same bullet weight, but in 9mm in a Glock 19. Two out of 20 rounds had a failure to feed in the Glock 19. Same failure which was, the lip of the mouth of the hollowpoint hung up on the edge of the feed ramp. This bullet has a wider than average mouth which helps it expand reliably in gel, etc. I've really never had any hangups like that in my G19 till this round.

It's of interest to note that this same round fed very well in my BHP.

tipoc

Back