Sig questions

Ed2000

I went and groped some Sigs today. I think I am in lust. Now let me explain my dilema and get your opinion.

I like to buy guns that will last for many rounds and many years so that I can pass them on to my children (in working order) someday. With revolvers that has meant Ruger SP and GP series guns.

I am looking for pistols that fill that same bill. The sigs feel great (P - 245, 226, 229, 220, 239). These guns have aluminum frames and I doubt most of them will be offered in the steel frame version like the 220SS. So, what can you tell me about their durability in terms of years and rounds? I thought a SA 1911 was going to be my long term keeper of a pistol, but condition one is not safe when I look at how often I have to leave my gun off body.
Do you think a Ruger P94 would be more durable if I settle for an aluminium framed pistol?

Thanks for your input.

Just get the Sig 220 stainless, 229 Sport, or the new 226 Sport (also stainless). If you want long term durability, aluminum alloy won't cut it in my opinion. If you are willing to look at non-Sigs, check out the all steel CZ line (75, 97), Glock line, polymer Ruger line, and HK line. These are all very durable pistols.

Yes, the Ruger P94 should be more durable. The alloy Rugers are one of the strongest alloy framed guns out there.

[Edited by Canine on 02-24-2001 at 02:27 PM]

How much do you plan shoot the gun before passing it on? Three or four hundred rounds a month or a thousand rounds a month? I have no doubt that any SIG you buy will be passed on to your Great-grandchildren in fine working order.

I know this is an example of someone not answering the question that was asked, but just out of curiosity, why is Condition One any less safe than a SIG when off your body?
The SIG is the same thing except for the lack of a manual safety, so if someone else using it is your concern, I don't think the SIG will solve it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't own a 1911 and I have a SIG 220 on my hip right now. But I'm not sure your problem will be solved the way you think. If someone is going to pick it up and mess with it, the SIG will fire when the trigger is pulled like any other handgun.

I dont think wearing a Sig out is much of a concern. Springs and other small parts may be have to be replaced after much shooting, but I really doubt you are going to have any problems with the slide or frame.

I have one of the early 220 sigs.139XXX.I have probably put 15,000 rds through it.I bought it used so I have no idea how many total rds fired.There is no evidence of any wear on the frame or slide.I can't see why this gun wouldn't last as long as any steel frame gun and be passed down.

I appreciate your comments, let me explain a few things that were mentioned. I have a CCW, but often have to leave my gun in the glove compartment or encased. When at home, my wife may also move my guns and she is not a gunnie. My holster is open top and I can just envision the safety being snicked off when the gun is rattling around in one of these situations. Thus, I find myself having to keep it in condition 3 too often (like as I drive by crack houses). Anyway, I am thinking of erring on the side of a long DA pull like my revolvers.

I do not currently shoot a bunch, but I hope to change that. I have seen a bunch of sigs at gunshows that are loose as a goose and rattle as if made of pot metal. Of course, they may have 20,000 rounds through them - I just don't know what to think of that.

I am probably being somewhat silly and I acknowledge that. I just want a pistol that matches my Ruger GP100s record of thousands of round of ammo, 10+ years of carry, and continued appearance and function as if NIB.

Rattling Sigs?

Ed2000,

I have seen many Sigs with under 5,000 rounds that "rattle like they are made of pot metal". They still shoot very accurately and have no reliability problems. I don't think the rattle is anything to worry about.

You would have to shoot an awful lot of rounds of hot ammo to hurt a SIG. I have a SIG 229 with about 25,000 rounds through it. 20,000 of .40 and 5,000 of SIG357. When new I measured rail space and slide width. Neither has changed after 25,000 rounds. I recently had the framed X-rayed by my
gunny dentist and found absolutely no faults with the frame.
He has a 220 that he x-rays every 6 months or so. In my humble opinion the SIGs are very durable.

My department issues Sig 226 for new recruits. It has been the official city pistol for 10 years. One of the guns in our armory has 90,000 DOCUMENTED rounds through it. The springs have been replaced along with the barrel. The only other major part to be replaced was the locking insert. They are outstanding pistols!

Back