Sig Quality?

Kermit

Was over at the Sig forum. Seems like there are some unhappy Sig owners. Complaints from bad triggers out of box, poor customer service, long turn over times for guns sent to factory for work, rust from just storing guns and cracked frames...
So, what's the deal? Did something happen to Sig quality or have they always had these problems?

Don't really know...

Have 3 Sig's purchased over the past few years. None have given me any trouble to date. Just keep chuggin' along! :)

The only Sig I have ever owned was a P239 that I bought second-hand almost five years ago. I didn't clean it before I took it to the range for the first time, and the second round stovepiped on me. I went to the cleaning bench, gave it a good once-over, and it never failed me again in over 7,000(+) rounds.

But I did work at a gun shop for almost a year, and we got a LOT of complaints about the Sig Pro 2340's. We had to send five or six of them back to Sig for some tweaking on various problems.

Other than that, I have never met an unhappy Sig owner.

Sig quality

I have owned 5 and currently own two and have never had a problem with any of them. In my opinion, they are the finest pistols made. I don't know anything about their customer service because I've never needed it.

The only problem that I have encountered is rust on on the slide. Didn't matter how often I ran a silicon cloth over it, it would still spot with rust. Called Sig and they said that I should send it into them to have it refinished

Sig Quality

No problems here, with the "P" series; that includes the P220, P226, P228, and P229.:D Some people just don't keep
their equipment "up to snuff"; police officer's included.
Give a Sig a little TLC; and it will love you for a lifetime.:)

Another Happy Sig Owner,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I saw a SIG P220 with a cracked frame just other day, it had over 65,000 rounds through it and the owner was still shooting it. The gun is going back to SIG Arms next week and the owner just wanted to shoot it one last time. With the crack in the frame it still cycles reliably (100%), but it does shoot to the right of POA now. YMMV. (My mileage hasn't gotten that high yet.)

My P229 in .40s&w has served me perfectly so far. No FTFs, or other bad issues. Of all my guns, I feel that Sig has the highest quality of them all....

If I can't have a 1911, I'll want a SIG P220.
If I can't have a SIG P220, I'll want a USP.
If I can't have a USP - then I'll be happy with the 1911 that I already have.

I read the complaint regarding the bad trigger. I don't really know what that owner's problem was, he was not very specific in the post. I have found on each of my SIG's that there is a break in period where the triggers will smooth out after about 500 rounds. They are smooth to begin with, but after 500 rounds they are SWEET.
I won't deny the existence of some cracked frames, but I have never seen one. I have never seen a Glock KB either, but I'm sure they exist.
The rust I have seen on my SIGs was:
1) On the forcing cone on my 10 year old 226. I put some Flitz on it and have never had the problem again.
2) My two tone 229 but that rode in my duty holster for 2 weeks (including some heavy rain)without me checking it. That was completely my fault, luckily it was only some minor spotting.
Some people handle guns and then store them without wiping them down, and then are suprised to find rust on them. Some people also live in highly humid environments and don't take proper measures to store their weapons. These things do happen, but can be prevented with proper maintenance.
Some people are never happy unless they are complaining about something.

Frame gouging

What turned me off for a long time was frame gouging. Had a German made and assembled P228 that was sub par. The finish near the muzzle was rough, the front sight had machining marks, and after just a few hundred rounds the frame rails looked like someone had used a hammer on it. It was always well lubed so that couldn't have caused it. SIG Arms answer to the frame gouging was the typical that's normal response. Sorry, when I pay $600+ for something I expect it to fit right. I'm also sorry to say that others have had problems with frame gouging too.

there will always be some complaints. It is more than likely that only 1% of Sig owners have had problems. Nothing major. These guns require more attention compared to guns such as Glocks and H&Ks. Often, since the introduction of polymer guns, people have gotten used to the fact that it is ok to leave a gun unattended for a while. Sig guns are known to be what is called "wet guns". They need to be well lubed in order for it to function properly. Sigarms at Exeter NH provide quality service for those who need it...

Every maker has lemons.......

Sig quality is generally very good but lemons do appear. I have found that Sigs in general produce fewer lemons on average than certain other makers (I don't want to mention the makes I am referring to because I don't want to start a heated debate). I am by no means a Sig fan (I like them, but don't love them), but I acknowledge that the amount of lemons from Sig is extremely low.....

Update:

I am a regular over at the SigForum and I am aware of what post you are talking about.

That was one guy that got a lemon P-220 simple as that. The guy was venting and not really being specific, rather than explain his problem he pretty much just bashed Sig pistols and their customer service.

He was unhappy with the trigger on his NIB P-220, anybody that has bought a new hand gun knows that it takes a little time to beak a trigger into its full potential, his gripes are understood and I can understand somebody being upset if they pay $800 for a new gun and it does not live up to their expectations.

If he took the time and dry fired the gun, testing how heavey the trigger was he would not have had to go through all this trouble. I dont know about you but I have a routine I go through before I purchase a gun, testing the trigger pull is defineatly one of them. That was a problem easiy avoided.

OK, enough on that post.

As far as rust goes, I have had 4 Sigs over the years and can honestly tell you I have never seen so much as a spec of rust yet. There has been times where they have sat in my safe for months and still, no rust.

If you take care of your guns and clean them after shooting them I dont see how you could have any problems. Lets face it, Sigs did not get their reputation by making rusty guns that are going to crack on you. Sure, it might happen but that about 2%, not really enough to get up in arms about.

JAson

JMack,
With the purchase routine you have for your guns, I'd take it then that you would not encourage online gun purchases since you rarely get to handle the gun prior to receiving it. Pretty fine line between the great deal/great gun. But probably well worth it in the long run.

Kermit;

I've had quite a few Sigs over the years and so far NO problems. I've heard the same complaints about Sigs customer service, but I haven't had anything go wrong so I can't address that issue. I'm down to only five Sigs right now including two SigPros. Frankly, they are a bunch better than most folks think. I just hope that they don't catch on since I love buying them for about the same price as a Kahr.

My P232 is back at the shop for a repair...I must say, their customer service was polite on the phone, but I was nonplussed to discover that it would be there for at least 2 months.

As of right now, I don't have the gun back so I can't give you an opinion as to the quality of their work, but the speed is unimpressive.

Mike

I think that the SIG quality is excellent. I can't comment on their customer service because I never needed it.
Read the 2001 issue of Shooting Times Autoloaders. It tested a SIG 220 out of the box. They fired 10,000 rounds of Black Hills 230gr. hardball through it in one day. No problems and the pistol actually became more accuarate as the test went on.
I have a 229 40S&W will about 5,000 rounds through it. No problems. I would not hesitate to buy another SIG.

Back