Sig Pistols - Manual of Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanf

In the Nov/Dec issue of American Handgunner magazine, on page 58, Ken Hackathorn writes <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>However, on pistol designs like the Glock and SIG, one is advised to reach up and grasp the slide with an overhand grip, the pull smartly to the rear to release the slide. Due to the location of the slide lock on Glock and SIG pistols, using the thumb to depress the latch is not advised. (emphasis mine)[/quote]

Now I have found (among pistols I have experience with) that the Sig slide release is in the ultimate position for just reaching up with your strong side thumb and releasing the slide. Other pistols (such as the Smith & Wesson and Government Models) have slide release locations that make it necessary to pivot the pistol in the hand to reach the slide stop with the strong side thumb. These pistols (SW and Gov't) would seem to lend themselves more to the "grasp the slide with the weak hand and yank" method of slide release, but Hackathorn says just the opposite in his article.

Comments?

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited November 11, 1999).]

dean:

I'm with you on this. I have no trouble at all employing the slide release with my strong hand thumb.

As an instructor, Hackathorn sees hundreds of shooters each year...my guess is that he's come across a few SIG shooters who (for whatever reason) couldn't release the slide stop with their thumb. Now for a left handed shooter, his method has merit, unless the leftie has figured out something else.

Mike

I'm with y'all on this. I have no problem operating the slide release on my SIG with my strong hand without changing my grip. Glocks are another matter. Their slide stop seems only designed to stop the slide...not to be a resease. Without an aftermarket slide stop...Glocks are a pain to release....

Maybe Hackathorn is more conerned with the size of the release, than the location. Those on the Glock and Sig are kind of small.

Now that I re-read my own post, however, I see that he specifically mentions the location of the release as the reason for this method.

dean:

Agreed, SIG slide releases are small, but for me, at least, it's not a problem. For those who find the slide release too small to find, then Hackathorn's alternate method is a good one. It certainly works!

Mike

This is an honest question, I'm not trying to sound like a smart-ass.

Why did SIG put the Slide release where the decocker should be and the decocker where the Slide release should be? I'm sure this is no problem for you dedicated SIG guys, but for those of us who change guns every other day (I know, I know) it's rather goofy. Is it a mechanical issue or just tradition?

JJR:

That's a fair question, but I don't have a clue as to giving you an honest answer.

I'll swag it, though, and offer that SIGs engineers felt that in terms of ergonomics, something besides the hammer drop/safety lever common on Berettas, Smiths, etc., could be designed that was easier to use.

IMHO, they succeeded admirably.

Mike

My own opinion is that ALL pistols should have their slides released by grasping the slide, pulling rearward and letting go. IF you find yourself in a shooting situation where you have fired to slide-lock, then your stress level is way up, and your fine motor skills are way down. It's much easier to find the slide with your hand (gross motor) than to find the slide release with your thumb (fine motor).

I know that this may be a training issue, but I've seen those with lots of hours of range time have trouble finding the slide release when operating under a little stress. YMMV.

JJR:

My question would be:

Why did pistol designers like John Browning put the slide release in a place where it can't be reached with the gun hand thumb without pivoting the pistol in the hand? Why not put it directly above where the thumb naturally rests (like Sig did) so there's no pivoting required?

Good points guys, I guess I've got big thumbs. I have to pivot my Sigs to the right in order to hit the slide release.

My biggest problem comes from years of shooting 1911's, Berettas, Hi-Powers, etc. When doing any kind of action shooting or rapid reload drills with my Sig, I always find my self trying to release the slide with that damn decocker. "Duhhh... why won't it go George?" I should just grab the slide, but pulling back on the slide to release takes too much time and pulls your hands out of fireing position. I suppose that's better than sitting there decocking an open slide gun ;).

I guess the answer to my question is.. "Sigs are that way because some people like it better that way." Fair enough! Thanks.

For lefties an easy way to release the slide on a reload is to insert the mag and as part of the same upward movement, allow your fingers to move up the back of the gripping hand. With the index or middle finger, the slide release can be tripped. It takes a little practice but can be done effectively on all the SIGs, with the exception of the 230/232. It is a little more difficult to use this method with the 239 as the slide release is somewhat smaller and recessed.
I have also found that as a left handed shooter, when a slide release is placed in an arrangement similar to a Colt Government, the trigger finger is can come quickly come up and release the slide. Some would probably fault me for doing that, but as a southpaw, I have to adjust to a right handed world.

I, too, am a southpaw (from the South! ;)) who must deal with a right handed world. The slide stop issue is not a big deal for me. Here's a point to consider in defense of pulling the slide itself to release- this method will always work, whether you're in normal conditions, wearing heavy gloves, hands slick from blood, etc. Sure, it may take you out of firing position momentarily, but when you're under stress, possibly hurt, you won't be decocking an open slide :). As you train, so shall you fight.

------------------
Lady Justice has been raped, truth assassin;
Rolls of red tape seal your lips, now you're done in;
Their money tips her scales again, make your deal;
Just what is truth? I cannot tell, cannot feel.

The ultimate in vanity
Exploiting their supremacy
I can't believe the things you say
I can't believe, I can't believe the price we pay- nothing can save us
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is gone
Pulling your strings,Justice is done...
Seeking no truth, winning is all,
Find it so grim, so true, so real....

If it isna Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

I think the handover method is best taught
for several reasons; 1. Releasing the slide
or "slingshoting it" gives marginally more
force to seat the round in the chamber.
2. This prepares the shooter for the worst
case situation. i.e. If I always do the handover method I get quicker at it and when
I have to do a clearance drill; it is already
established by training and the other steps
to clearing the weapon are faster. BTW the SigPro has one of the longetst slide releases I have ever seen on a duty gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back