Sig P365XL Vs. FNX9

toasterburn

Inactive
Want to pick up a 9mm around 20oz with a full grip. Hate trigger safeties. That seems to leave me with the Sig P365 XL and the FNX 9. (Don't have a local range where I can test them.)

Which would you choose?

Those are very different firearms. If you don't want a trigger safety but are willing to go the hammer fired route like the FNX9 than you have many more options.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The P365 isn't DA/SA.

These don't look that close to me:
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p365-xl.html
https://fnamerica.com/products/pistols/fnx-9/

If you go to a store and handle the two I think you'll find what I'm saying to be true. The differences in height and width aren't trivial. One is a hammer fired DA/SA with a safety and the other is a striker fired constant action. One is a service pistol and the other is a micro carry pistol that was extended in dimensions to make it more shootable.

Hmm, I'm going to have to drive a long ways to even handle one instore (not a big selection in my small town), but that might just be what I have to do.

I honestly think it would be worth it. I still have a P365XL and I have owned an FNX-40. Both are nice, but I see them as very different. You might not, however.

The P365 and FNX-9 are both good guns. They both have polymer grips. Beyond that they are quite dissimilar. The striker fired P365 XL trigger is pretty good for a striker fired gun, but does not compare to the SA trigger of the DA/SA FNX-9. I could go on for a bit, but suffice it to say they are very different guns. TunnelRat is spot on with his comments. A casual glance at the two reflects the difference in the quite obvious external hammer of the FNX-9 that is noticeably absent on the P365. You really need to examine them more closely. I wonder if you actually were referring to the FNS-9?

As AgedWarrior mention the FN series of striker fired pistols like the FNS-9 do not have a Glock like trigger safety blade. Neither do the Smith and Wesson M&P line of pistols.

I drove several hours today to the nearest city that had a shooting range and shot both guns. Despite the size difference, I shot both guns with exactly the same size groupings, and they were both pleasantly soft shooting. I found I liked the build quality and grip texture on the Sig a bit more, but it was very close.

If you like DA/SA and the grip texture works for you, the FNX-9 would be an excellent choice. I haven't tried the new Sig but if you like it better, God bless. Given their long history of making DA/SA guns, I really wish Sig would start making some of these smaller/slimmer guns in DA/SA.

If you like DA/SA and the grip texture works for you, the FNX-9 would be an excellent choice. I haven't tried the new Sig but if you like it better, God bless. Given their long history of making DA/SA guns, I really wish Sig would start making some of these smaller/slimmer guns in DA/SA.

They did. You had the P225, P239, the revised P225A1. You also had the odd P224. The reality was if they had sold well enough they'd have stayed around. DA/SA isn't bad, but it's not in Vogue these days.

They did. You had the P225, P239, the revised P225A1. You also had the odd P224. The reality was if they had sold well enough they'd have stayed around. DA/SA isn't bad, but it's not in Vogue these days.

No, I mean a smaller/slimmer gun by modern standards. I mean something like a DA/SA version of the P365.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked the P239. It's awesome for what it is. Guns like the P365, PPS, and Shield are just a level up from there in terms of discrete carry. It's a level where DA/SA guns are conspicuously scarce.

No, I mean a smaller/slimmer gun by modern standards. I mean something like a DA/SA version of the P365.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked the P239. It's awesome for what it is. Guns like the P365, PPS, and Shield are just a level up from there in terms of discrete carry. It's a level where DA/SA guns are conspicuously scarce.
There's more mechanism to fit with a hammer. You're not just releasing a striker. Depending on the method of decocking that adds some bulk too.

And again, given it's waning popularity I'm not sure people are going to invest in new designs for DA/SA. Every one of the holdouts from years ago, Beretta, HK, CZ, SIG all have hopped on the striker train. I did training at SIG Academy back when all the instructors still were DA/SA or DAK and lurked on HKPro back when LEM was treated like the best thing ever. Those situations flipped in less than a year when the striker options came out, after years of explanations of why strikers were overrated or even pedestrian. Not saying you're in that boat, just that the transition is very entrenched now, even among people that seemed like they never would switch.

^ I'd also accept a DA/SA striker system like in the Walther P99. Even after two decades, the P99 is still amazing. It's relatively compact for a full-sized handgun. The factory trigger is wonderful. It's both durable and reliable. The P99C gets smaller but I'd love to see the gun get thinner. A single-stack variant of the P99 would be superb.

Back