Sig P320 vs Beretta APX

Elliottsdad

I have a CCW, and a full size 9mm, and I'm kinda getting a hankering for the goldilocks inbetween. Not sure if I'll buy one just yet (still haven't bought the last 2 or 3 guns I had "hankering" for)..
Which 'inbetween'.. Sig P320C or Beretta APX Centurion, has better quality in terms of workmanship/materials/etc? Taking the US army choice out of it, and the P320s obviously larger market share
Which one, the Sig or Beretta, is more robust?

Last edited:
Not annoying at all, I should have been more clear.
They both seem like fantastic pistols (despite the APX's goofy looks), but to be totally honest the Sig grip shells look sorta chintzy/thin plastic, and the Beretta has a vertical-popping firing pin block that (though also present on the M9), makes me question the complexity of the design.
I know if I'm going for a simplicity/rugged design standpoint, I should probably stick with Glock, but after owning 2 of them (and they are very good guns), I'm not sold on the grip angle. Or plastic sights. Or trigger guard undercut. Or price.
Anyway, I digress. Robust not in size, but in well-built/designed for being used heavily. Probably not the right adjective.
Durability?

IMO, I doubt there is much if any difference between them as far as being robust. The internal steel frames should be capable of shooting many tens of thousands of rounds. I would base my decision between the two on which I shot better and if there is not much difference then brand loyalty, aesthetics, controls, and price may be what decides the choice. I would not be concerned about the poly frames on the P320 series as it has been around plenty long now and about all they do is hold the steel frame FCU and provide a grip. If there were problems they would have been heard about by now. Third party frames are supposed to become available and also the SIG X frames to some degree. If you have not done so it would be worth your time to at least try shooting a Gen 5 Glock also like the Glock 19 or Glock 45.

Last edited:
IMO, I doubt there is much if any difference between them as far as being robust. The internal steel frames should be capable of shooting many tens of thousands of rounds. I would base my decision between the two on which I shot better and if there is not much difference then brand loyalty, aesthetics, controls, and price may be what decides the choice. I would not be concerned about the poly frames on the P320 series as it has been around plenty long now and about all they do is hold the steel frame FCU and provide a grip. If there were problems they would have been heard about by now. Third party frames are supposed to become available and also the SIG X frames to some degree. If you have not done so it would be worth your time to at least try shooting a Gen 5 Glock also like the Glock 19 or Glock 45.
Well said. I have shot both of them and what is best is going to be what is best to YOU the individual. Both have excellent build quality and these guns will last as long as any gun made IMO, do not see any reason they wouldn't.

What is nice is that both are modular and can accept another grip if necessary or just a different color and/or add back straps.

The all steel inner frames and modular design are also one reason I love both the Pico and Nano. Just very tough robust built firearms.

Just for he heck of it, If I was interested in the Glock 19, I would take a serious look at the Mossberg MC1. That gun is showing a lot of interest and a lot of great reviews. The Mossberg is also stated to have more of a 1911 style grip which might appeal to folks that are not Glock fans or Glock fans that like the Mossberg grip and other features like the easy removal of the striker, which I wish all my guns had.

I don't have experience with the APX outside of holding it at the LGS, but I do with the P320.
A few points in favor of the P320.
Grip modules are only around 30 bucks so you can always buy a new one if the first gets dinged up.
They come with excellent Tritium sights, decent trigger, and really don't require any upgrades like a Glock does.
The finish on the slides are "robust".
Parts will always be available due to military adoption.
Sig has a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A little update:

I was able to go the LGS (where I plan on buying) and handle/dry-fire the P320c. I was not that impressed, and here's why:
The M grip module was enormously fat, and to be honest, for a "compact" pistol, it didn't seem all that compact. The trigger was okay. It broke very quickly (too quickly?), but did have a very quick reset. I don't like the hinges on my M&P, but I do prefer the trigger pull. The Sig grip module didn't look as chintzy in person. However, I am not in love with this pistol.

They did not have a Beretta APX of any kind, but I did ask about it. They said they got them a while back, and they just did not move at all. Sat for months behind the glass. They offered to order one for me, and said it is a pretty good gun, but warned about the aftermarket. Basically, no one is carrying them, and companies are in no rush to make holsters, sights, etc. I watched a video of the takedown procedure, and it looks strange. Sounds like you have to push the takedown lever out with great strength to break the pistol down. My hand strength is fine, but this seems like a poorly thought-out design.

While there, I also handled a CZP10c. Seems like a good gun, but it is out of the running for me immediately. The grip is too aggressive. If I was going to carry something like that IWB next to my skin, I'd just stick with the M&P 2.0 Compact with it's aggressive texture.

I also handled the HK VP9. It is like holding something special. Fantastic ergonomics, maybe the best I've ever felt. But is out of my price range, so no dice.

Glock (grip angle), CZ (aggressive grip), HK (price), M&P (aggressive grip) are out for me. Which brings me back to Sig 320c, which I'm not that excited about, and the APX Centurion, which is a relative rarity, with it's own undesirable quirks.

Are there any 14-15 round compact carry guns that I'm ignoring? I know I'm being picky, but I am picky. I want to WANT the gun I buy. I don't want to settle for something just because the Army chose it. And I don't want to buy a futureless gun that has no aftermarket support.

I recently bought my first handgun, an APX Centurion and I'm very happy with it. I find that it fit my hand well, the recoil is minimal and it's accurate. I was in a LGS and handled a P320 full-size and I liked the grip angle and trigger much more than a Glock 17. Everyone has different hands and I'd suggest handling many pistols and even renting at the range.

Last edited:
I've shot both. Liked both. The APX is weird looking but Beretta is right that the slide is easy to rack from almost any angle, even with a poor grip. And the gun grip fits my hand very well.

Either is probably a perfectly solid choice. If one just "feels" better, get it. Neither will ever have the satisfying heft of a P226 or 92FS though :)

Now THOSE are GUNS!

$75 rebate goes quite a ways for the beretta. Gun Pro Deals was selling the threaded APX for I think $619 last I looked. Sub-$550 for a threaded, RMR-ready 9mm sure is tempting...

I'd be happy with either one. I kind of like the looks of the Beretta, and have a 92FS and Pico already, so I'd probably go that route. I've handled a Carry and Compact model of the P320's, the triggers were good and consistent on both samples. Whatever feels best in your hand and points naturally.

Rent 'em...Shoot 'Em and that alone will probably point you one way or the other.

That's usually the route that I use.
Nothing compares to holding a gun while it goes boom.
It will more than likely answer the $64,000 question for you.

Or they both shoot great and confuse you even more..but it has to help.

Neither

Both the APX and 320 are bulky. After looking a the 320 I couldn't believe it was selected by our military. The grip is chincey and the safety levers are plastic. APX has better design features. Having said that and without going details I would recommend the CZ P-10c. A much more refined gun, sporting night sites in the FDE model.

After looking a the 320 I couldn't believe it was selected by our military. The grip is chincey and the safety levers are plastic. [/B]
Lotsa politics and $ involved..the decision really had not a lot to do with actual advantages of any of the competitors.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/xm17-mhs-army-pistol/
Around since 2014, the P320 has been adopted by some law enforcement agencies. Obviously, the Department of Defense already uses Sig’s M11/P228 pistols. To top it off, the company was rumored to sell the units to the military for just over $200 each.

Last edited:
Well, I just "bit the bullet" (pun intended), and bought a Beretta APX Centurion. Couldn't pass up the $75 rebate. It will be shipped to the dealer early/mid next week.
I'll post a new thread on initial thoughts as soon as I get it home and handle it a bit, with a more thorough writeup as soon as I get a chance to fire it at the range!

Back