Sig P239 vs HkUSP9C (asking for a friend)

HKUSP45C

HI
I bought a friend to the range today. He rented a Sig 239. Now, he wants to buy one for himself. Immediately after we shot, he looked at a few guns. He told me its either the USP9c or the P239. I told him as much as I could about the USP9c but since I don't know anything about the 239, I come here for answers.
So, tell me about the P239. Does it have the frame crack problems like the early 229? How is the durability on that thing?
ST

I have a 239 in 357 Sig. It is probably one of the most accurate handguns I have ever owned. The slim grips make it easy to handle and shoot. Since it was designed for, and can handle the 357 Sig round, I would not worry too much about it cracking.

The Sig 239 is a tack driver.

My .40 was anyway. I'm sorry the HK USP9C is not worth $700.00 after tax title and license. I don't care how good they may be. Your'e looking at probably a 100% to 150% profit margin.

I have both a Sig P239/40 and an HK USP40c. For carrying a top-notch, big caliber there is no weapon more competent than the Sig P239/40 (IMNSHO). Provided it feels comfortable in your friend's hand, it is a tack driver and easy to carry. For pure enjoyment and a great nightstand gun, there is no weapon more competent than the USP40c (again IMNSHO). Good balance of size, power, outstanding reliability, and 'oh s**t' looks... I wouldn't carry an HK USPc and I wouldn't keep my P239 in the night stand. Both are great fun at the range too...

Now about spending $700 for an HK... :+)

I was recently in the market for a compact SA/DA 9 mm pistol and seriously considered the Sig P239. But when I went shopping, I ended up with a Smith & Wesson 908. (I think the S&W boycott is a bad idea, but that's another story.)

The features of the 908 and P239 are virtually identical. They are the same size and weight, with the same ammo capacity. The main difference is price: The 908 was priced about $130 less than the Sig.

I'd also heard about the slide cracking and questions about the long-term durability of the Sig. This is my second S&W. I had a model 59 years ago that was very reliable and accurate. I love the 908 so far, but I've only taken it on one trip to the range.

For what it's worth...

I'm a big Sig fan, so my opinion is DEFINITELY biased. :) Curuzer is right on the money, though: what is this gun going to be used for?

CCW: Get the Sig. It's smaller, flatter and easier to conceal.

HD/Range: Get the HK. Higher capacity, easy to mount a light and if it's in the nightstand the size/thickness isn't an issue.

As always, I recommend that your friend shoot both for comparison. The HK looks sweet, but you'll never know if it'll work for you until you send some rounds downrange.

That said: Viva la Sig! :D

Where can I buy a friend? It's always good to have a spare :D

Seriously...Curuzer's on the money...

both are GREAT pistols....

If you're buddy's wanting a carry piece, then it's Sig 239 hands down. Smaller, slimmer, carries well.

If he wants a shooter and HD pistol, then it's the USP9C, again hands down. External safety, 10 round capacity, slightly larger, so it fills the hand better.

Both opinions, not LAW... YMMV.

BTW, $700 is too much for an HK... I've seen 'em blued for $550 in AL, $599 - $635 in GA.

Another vote for the SIG

I carry a 9mm 239, and agree with the assessments as stated above. I also have a USP45C (it's the bedroom gun). It's a lot bigger and heavier. The USP9C is also considerably bigger than the 239, but it does offer 3 more rounds, if that matters. Both are fine guns, go with waht fits/feels best to you. Good luck, M2

Since its going to be his first gun ever, purpose of this gun, I guess, will be an all around gun. Mainly a home defense pistol as well as a range gun that you can shoot the hell out of since 9mm is cheap. I think it will more of a range gun though. CCW is not an issue since this is CA. I am not sure if capacity is a major issue.
Based of what he told me, this is what he wants.
9mm, accurate, and more importantly durable because he plans to shoot it alot. Can be used as a home defense as well. Whether it can mount a light or not does not matter because neither I or my friend finds it reasonable to pay $200 and up for a tac light. (unless its for a Glock since the M3 light is only $120)
Does not really have to be an "end of the world gun" because there is no such thing as an end of the world gun. Thats the job for an AR15.

I can't do a direct comparison, but I do have a P239 in .40 and a USPc in .45. The USPc .45 is apparently somewhat larger than the USPc 9.

Both are fine guns, each with the own advantages and disadvantages. The Sig is quite accurate, smaller and thinner. It has a decocker but no manual safety, so it must be carried decocked. If you look at the Sig, you'll notice that the gun is relatively deep from the top of the slide to the area where the trigger guard meets the frame. It seems to have a relatively high bore axis and feels top-heavy in my hands. The slide lock on the Sig is the lever that is farthest to the rear on the frame. That is different from most semi-autos, so I have to consider it a net negative (I have a lot of different guns so anything significantly different from the norm can lead to confusion under stress). The double action trigger isn't bad. The single action trigger is pretty good -- not M1911 good, but pretty good nevertheless. I haven't had any frame cracking issues with mine, but I don't shoot it that often. If the frame does crack, I'm sure Sig will stand behind it.

The HK is larger. It does have a manual safety, allowing it to be carried cocked and locked. Personally, I'm not a fan of DA/SA, I prefer a gun which has a consistent trigger pull. Therefore, I consider it a significant advantage to be able to carry the HK cocked and locked. The HK feels a bit better balanced in my hand. The double action trigger on the HK is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. It's horrendously heavy. The single action trigger is pretty good, but not as good as the Sig. I've heard about HKs breaking firing pins if dry-fired a lot, but I haven't had any problems with it myself as I don't use my HK that much.

In summary, both are fine guns. There are things I like and things that I dislike about both. The P239 would be a better choice for CCW. With that out of the picture, it really boils down to individual taste.

M1911

Hks are the chosen guns. Sig isn't bad, but I'm American, so I like guns that are set up control wise like the 1911s we were all taught with.

Bachman Pawn and Guns of Dallas, Tx is a high volume dealer selling to smaller dealers and civies. The owner's wife told me yesterday that both Sig and HK are drastically escalating prices right now. It shows with the HK-----$559.00 is doable but $655.00 + tax= $700.00 and I can't do that.

Before I started shooting Glocks, I did go the $700 Sig 220/226 route back when they were wy up there. Since Glock, I stay around $500.00 and am well served fwiw.

Another vote for SIG

The only gun I own (for now) is a P239 in .40S&W. I feel comfortable defending my life with it, in the home or out, or I wouldn't have bought it. However, I've never shot the HK. All this said: get the SIG, and practice a lot.

CFB

Will Beararms, ha ha, you'd be lucky if you can find a HK around the Bay Area (SF) for $650. Here are some prices
HK USP f or c ss $725
HK USP f or c he $699
However, they were a bit cheaper a few weeks ago. (I think its because they sell them FIFO from inventory they purchased last year.)
I saw a Sig P239 with a silver slide and trigger. They are selling it for $600. Question is, what is it? Nickel on stainless? or is it just stainless?
Tell me about the two tones. Are they worth it. (do the finish peel off?)
Thanks
ST

Back