SIG P239 or Glock 33

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan

Inactive
I'm looking for a CCW firearm in 357SIG and wanted to get opinions on the SIG P239 and the Glock 33. Reliability? Ease of concealment? Any thoughts on other sub-compacts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Try glocktalk.com, you might get more responses over there, although they'll be decidedly in Glock's favor.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Stictly subjective--the P239 feels better in my hand (after installing a set Hogue grips) and better "geometry" (height, length, width ratio) for concealed carry and conceals better IWB for me.

The P239 is slightly easier to field strip than the G33. The Sig has a stainless steel slide and aluminum frame. The G33 has a polymer frame and tenifer coated slide so there should be no significant difference in routine maintenace requirements. Both have execellent reputations for reliability.

The P239 is conventional DA/SA (unless you find a DAO one). The G33 is a "safe action" (not DAO as some people trying to sell them will tell you). The G33 will be easier to learn to shoot well, but I think the Glock with its 5.5 pound trigger pull (albeit preceded by half an inch of creepy trigger pull) to be a considerably less safe system for CCW and home defence--it can be rendered considerably safer by the installation of a NY1 (8 pound) or NY2 (12 pound) trigger spring.

The SIG P239 is a great CCW gun. Never fired a glock 33, probably never will...

I would say try both if possible and decide for yourself.

Good luck.

------------------
SURE SHOT

The best way to determine which is to try them both and see which fits you best. When I joined the department, I determined that my old Ruger P85 was not quite what I wanted to carry on duty - I thought (from listening to all the guys (gals too) that Glock was the way to go. So - off to the gun shops I went. Well, I tried several different models, but none of them really fit me right (the 22 came closest I think) Somebody then suggested that I try a Sig. (was kinda hesitant because of my perception that Sigs were too much $$$) BUT, after trying the P226, I was sold. This gun fits my hand like it was made for me. I especially liked (and still do) the fact that the Sig trigger guard is longer than the Glock. Thus I became the proud owner of a new 226. When the time came to buy my backup weapon - I again looked to Glock and Sig (looked at the G19 because of the double stack mag vs. the 239's single) Again the Sig fit me best, and I deceided that fit and comfort are more important than capacity alone - I did put a set of Hogue grips on it to gain just a little width. As an aside, I now really dislike the feel of the Glock trigger, but this is probably just from being so used to my Sigs.
Bottom line - Get what feels best to you, and forget what everybody else says you should shoot.

DWJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back