[Sig P238] Best CCW holster for sports clothes / running / jogging?

sigsag1

What would be the best holster for a Sig P238, to wear with just gym shorts and a t-shirt, to use while running / jogging?

I often run out in the canyons an hour or two past dark, and am sometimes a mile or two from the nearest person (I'm off at work at 5pm, and it gets dark at around 5:30pm in the winter).

I'm planning to carry a P238 mainly to protect myself from mountain lions.

(If I can keep it from printing, I would also be open to carrying a larger gun chambered in 357SIG, as I know that round would fare much better against a mountain lion. But I'm not sure if I could keep it from printing).

Sometimes I do come across other people, hence the need to keep it concealed. I also live in not a very gun-friendly area, more the reason to keep it 100% hidden.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

For years what I've typically done is to get whatever belly band holster you want, then use an iwb kydex holster, sandwiched between the 2 overlapping parts of the belly band.

If that doesn't make sense I can elaborate further.

I run in BDU shorts and a 1-1/4" cotton web USMC utility belt/buckle.

Sig P938 in a Galco Stow-n-Go suede IWB holster, with the rear belt hook cut off to allow for a forward cant, to balance the rig.

Don't even know it's there.

Red

I also just ordered a runner kit bag from hill people gear. Just a little zipper pouch goes across your chest with a harness to it. Can report back after I get it and try it out.

Got my kit bag, highly highly recommend. Easy to adjust, stays put, easy to open to get your firearm out. Room for a few other small items. They do make it in other sizes and configurations, but for running or hiking where you want it off your hip this is a great option.

Note: if you get one other than the runners kit bag it does not include the bungee stabilizer strap.

@Red Devil thanks Red, I'll look into that setup.

@Polinese I was looking at the Hill People Gear rig, would you recommend running it at the hip, as a fanny pack?

With the way the harness is set up i'm not sure how you'd do that comfortably. I ran it with it kinda high on my chest, and put the 2 zippers at my 1 o'clock. This let me yank one down with my right hand while my left yanked the other for extra clearance. Worked well with a little practice. Not much slower (if at all) than lifting up a cover garment.

I like that chest pouch. The design of the harness means it won't flop around a lot. Also, if you have to squat for #2, fyre-arm is in the same place and not on the ground/hands which would be the case with a fanny pack. I'm using a decades old shoulder rig when I go out.

Back