Sig P230 with a Safety???

branrot

I was at the gun show today and saw a Sig P230 (the predecessor to the P232), but it had a frame-mounted safety! It was in a location similar to a 1911, but it was a much smaller switch. I'm not really interested in buying it because I prefer my PPK (American style mag release), but it looked interesting. Has anyone else ever seen this? Is this a factory gun or a conversion? Anyone?

Usually you see them in .32 auto with the safetly. Its a factory gun built for a bunch of Police agencies in Europe and Japan. You see them once in awhile at Auction sites

Can the safety be retrofitted? I've got a 232 and have noticed a hole toward the rear of the slide exactly where the axle would go for a saftey switch. I've always wondered why that hole is there.

I have one of the .32 P230s with a manual safety. Useless as this safety probably is, I have to say that SIG seems to have done an excellent job of designing and installing it. Even the left grip is different to accommodate the safety. Anyway, my wife took one look at this gun and said it was hers!

BTW, according to my dealer, one of the big wholesalers (he told me which one, but I don't remember the name) had three thousand of these pistols at one time, but is down to about six hundred of them as of last month.

Back