Sig P229 vs. Sig P239 .357 SIG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph

After 30 years or so away from handguns, and then just picking up a Sig P232 for backpacking, I'm hooked bad, and particularly on Sigs. Even my good ol' southern compatriots are shaking their heads.

Anyway, I'm now favoring adding a .357 SIG., and the choice is between a P229 and a P239. I've heard some adverse comments about the P229 (from this forum and from a column written by Randy Mays), but wanted to open it up to ya'll.

Also, reading about the noise levels, any comments between the two weapons on that front?

Thanks,
Roon

I don't like the top-heavy look of the Sig 239. There's nothing at all wrong with the Sig 229. Kind of pricy, but otherwise a remarkable gun.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Roon:

Just comes down to whether or not 10 rds in the 229 is more important to you than carrying 8 (I think) in the 239. The 239 is a little lighter.

I do own a 229 in .40 S$W and like the pistol very much...don't have a 239.

As for noise, I shoot a P226 in .357SIG and the muzzle blast is stout, but not as bad as full house .357s out of my Smith 686. Recoil (at least for me) is on par with my P220 shooting 230gr Ball ammo.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited November 30, 1999).]

Mike,

Is there a major difference between the .357SIG and .40 S&W regarding report and recoil? I've thought that the .357 was an ideal compromise between power and too much power (not being one to automatically subscribe to big is better).

So what I'm hearing is both guns are great, both guns are equally reliable, and, as usual, it comes down to which one you like more and feels more comfortable in your hand.

Can life really be this easy!!! :D

If you get either .357 or .40 Sig 229, you'll have two pistols in one for the barrels are interchangable as well as the mags. You can get a factory barrel for arround $200, I think.

Just my 2 c.

Emin

Joseph:

Difficult for me to judge on the recoil, as my .357 is fired from the larger pistol, the 226. IMO, the muzzle blast from the .357SIG is more severe than the .40 S&W.

What's interesting about the .357SIG to me is that it is easily the most accurate round I've ever fired from a semi-auto pistol. I also like the fact (as emin pointed out) that one can buy extra SIG or BARSTO bbls and have the capability to fire another caliber out of the same basic platform and magazines.

Also, in thoses stages of an IDPA match where required to knock down steel, it will do so with authority, about on par with my .45ACP P220.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited December 01, 1999).]

I own a 229 with the .40 and .357sig barrels and I previously (recently sold it) a Sig 239 in .357 sig. The 239 is a little more of a handfull in terms of recoil and muzzle lift. I prefer the 229. Both are accurate but the 229 is more pleasant to shoot and more comfortable in my hand. The .357 sig round is louder than the .40 and has more muzzle lift and recoil but for me its also a more accurate round. I keep the .357 sig barrel in my 229 all year round. It is a great round that I recommend you try out.

John

Well guys, now I'm really confused!

I went out to the range today and fired off 100 rounds in a P228 (9mm) and 50 rounds in a P2340 (40S&W).

The 40S&W was, duh, much louder and much greater recoil, compared to the 9mm. I really enjoyed the P228 ("really" underlined). I tolerated the 40S&W.

My groupings were pretty much the same for both.

Now I'm a small-handed guy who shot massive amounts of .45 caliber in the military, and I used to have a big old S&W .357 4" bbl.

I never enjoyed them the way I enjoyed this little old 9mm.

I gotta give the .357Sig a chance!

So much for easy choices! ;)

Roon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back