Sig P229 on order...a good decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggy

I just placed an order for a P229 in .40 calibre. It was a tough choice deciding between the Glock 23 and the Sig. I wanted a durable gun but also something that was pretty to look at. I have heard a few people say the sig 229 in .40 is a plague to the Sig name. Also, the dealer seemed to push the P239 and tried to discourage me from purchasing the P229, though I'm not sure why. Do you guys have any comments on this Sig model...is the finish at least reasonably durable? Would the Glock be a better choice for durability? Also, is it tacky to change your mind after the dealer has placed an order for you? Thanks fellas.

I have the G22, G23, G27, and a SIG P229. The P229 is a nicer pistol though the finish on the Glock is the most durable in the industry being a plastic frame and Tenifer treated slide. I have a large hand and short fingers so the P239 is not even a consideration as it does not fit my hand. The P229 was fitted with a short trigger to fit better. The dealer probably wanted to sell you a P239 because he had it in stock. He wants you sell you what he had not what was best for you. If that is the case you need to find another dealer because he is putting his convienence above what is right for the customer. Bottom line is to have a gun that fits your hand. If the fit is not perfect, change the grips, trigger, or anything else to make it fit.

The sigs are a lot better looking than
the glocks; in my opinion, the handling feel of the sigs is so much better in my hand.
But ultimately, beauty is in the eyes of the
beholder. I like my sigs so much more than
the glock that I sold my glock 17 to buy
another sig-229 in .357 cal.

SIG P229 a plague to the SIG NAME?

Someone is blowing smoke up...

I have owned the SIG P229 and the GLOCK 22, and the SIG IMHO is the best out of the box .40S&W handgun on the market. It is extremely accurate, reliable, durable, etc; The ergonomics are outstanding! It is not to big, nor is it to small. The only SIG I like more is the FULL SIZE P220. I also have two P239s. They are as good as the P229 and better for concealed carry, because of more compact frame. The bottom line is that the SIG P229 is a no lose buy. You should be pleased. You will be owning one of the finest .40S&W pistols that money can buy.

P.S. The P229 is very durable as are all SIGs. It will have no problems standing up to the "tortures" of the 21st century man.
------------------
SURE SHOT

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited November 23, 1999).]

No; you pay the money you should get what
you want. Q.'s does the gun fit your hand? is the trigger the way you like it. IMHO the reason there are so many guns around now is that there are alot of people to please when
it comes to fit, size, ect. Only you can
decide what is right for you.

Piggy, I've been gathering info for months trying to choose my first pistol. Once I got theories, opinions, personal biases, and emotional likes and dislikes (as well as found this great forum and started to ask questions), I actually went and held: four different Sigs, several Glocks, HKs, Walthers, Kahrs, etc. Then I shot three Sigs (220, 239, and 229), Glock 17 and 19, and HK P7. I immediately ruled out Walthers for none was comfortable in my hand and HK - the slide was way too low and almost touched my hand when fired. I loved the way Glock shot, BUT the almost rectangular grips drove me nuts. I also felt somewhat uncomfortable of how light the Glocks' trigger was. Especially after I found myself having absolutely no troubles handling the longest double action. Even on Kahrs. Actually, after listening to a lot of people saying that the Glock trigger's safe enough, I'm planning on getting one of the smaller Glocks but ONLY to obtain Hogue grips for it right away. Well, at the end, I almost purchased P239 in 9 mm but...
There was the love from the first shot - 229. Not only as if the grip was custom made for my hand, the pistol shot so beautifully, I knew right then it was going to be the winner.
I'm sorry for the long post, but the bottom line is - shoot both, hold them, aim, and dry fire. Regarding 229 being a plague to the Sig/Sauer name, BS! I got tons of information from very reliable sources (one of them is people on this forum) which I carefully sorted out almost statistically -- despite the fact that there are always going to be manufacturing defects, plain lemons, and simply biased disgruntled folks with highly subjective personal experience, OVERALL, ANY modern Sig/Sauer is probably the most reliable, finely made, and gorgeously functioning pistol worldwide.

Good shooting,
Emin

I dont know about you Emin, but ive never heard a horror story about a sig. All of them seem to be fantastic. I know my 2340 is. It shoots like the 229 that i love so much. And for almost 1/2 the price.

P.S. Ive asked people that have shot 2340's but owned 229's. They say the 2340 has a better trigger.

------------------
TIM : )

Jerky,

I'm actually seriously thinking of 2340 as my CCW - an extremely hard decision, as you're most likely aware - where will that hard-earned cash go. By the way, hats off to Sigarms for this great answer to all this Glock hype! I've heard several people who have 229 saying they love Sigpro, so I assume I'll like it too. I yet have to shoot one first - a must.
About "horror" Sig stories, they were never, in fact, horrors per say. You have to take into consideration several factors here such as not everybody's honest and we don't know if a particular gun described is purchased used and, therefore, might have been neglected badly. But the fact remains, there's always going to be something wrong with anything made by human hands - be it spaceships or urinal flush valves. As the matter of fact, I think they may have seemed like horror stories to some for a simple reason that if anything, even THE MOST MINOR, happens to a very reliable and respected product, people panick. Not many raised "red flags" with exclamation points out there for some Llamas, Norincos, Arminius, Astras, and even some Rugers (sorry, all the fans of it, but the facts are hard), haven't you noticed? People are willingly taking them for what they are, with no emotions, and no special expectations. But if anything, God forbid, should start happening to my beloved 229 in terms of performance, it'll be, well, an event.

Regards,
Emin

[This message has been edited by Emin (edited November 24, 1999).]

Well guys, I picked up my P229 from the gun shop today. The dealer charged me $12 for ordering the gun and another $15 for using a credit card to pay. Alltogether with tax..I paid $705...not a great price but by far the lowest price I could find here in south TX. Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and the gun fits perfectly in my hand...Also, the grip angle is far better than the Glock which seems to point a bit high. Trigger pull is also sooooo smooth. I'll be taking it to the range this weekend and I'm sure I'll be pleased. This just seems like a very classy gun that you can carry with confidance. I'm a pretty big guy so concealment is very easy..I'll probably buy a Glock just to have a gun that I can shoot the heck out of without worrying about scratches and finish wear. I can tell you right now the Sig is going to be pampered and always kept very clean. Anyway fellas..thanks for your help...glad to hear there are so many others out there that love the Sig line.

I own two P229 in .357, and don't mind the
long double-action first shot. In the heat
of battle with the adrenaline rush, the long-
heavy-smooth double action triggle pull will be the least of my concern. I don't why some
shooters like to debate about single-action over the double-action autos. I feel that
if the Navy SEALs like the Sigs,then it is
good enough for me knowing that these well
trained soldiers would enter the gun battles
with their Sigs on their hips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back