Sig P228

ivan9mm

Inactive
Hi,

I decided to get a 9mm and the Sig P228 is on top of my list of guns to get. I recently was at a gun dealer recently and was told that the Sig 228 will no longer be available to civilian purchase beginning the new year. He also said, they are hard to get and he has been selling them for $775 without any problems.

Is this guy for real? Or should I wait and shop around?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by ivan9mm (edited November 23, 1999).]

Shop around, the guy is playing you for a chump. SIG periodically stops shipping to distributors when they get behind on military orders. Try bachmangun.com, kyimports.com, precsionarmory.com or fourseasonsguns.com. I bought mine for $564 18 months ago, have seen 'em cheaper since. Great gun, BTW. Good luck, M2

$775 is steep for this gun. I purchased a p228 earlier this year for a mid 500's price. BTW, I saw recently where KY imports had a NIB P229 for < $500.

Shop around, Sig 228's are going for about $550-$600 right now when you can find them. Sig stopped selling them to civilians last year due to commitments for government contracts etc... Sig occasionally sends out batches now. In addition, some factory refurbished guns have shown up on the market. Some sources to look for a Sig 228 are www.jcarmory.com (call or email them cause they don't update their website that often) www.precisionarmory.com or try www.auctionarms.com or www.gunsamerica.com I've seen 228's on both. Another place to watch is www.subguns.com under the non-nfa ad board. That is an excellent place to find guns/accessories that are posted by dealers or just individuals. Hope this helps.

John

Personally, I wouldn't feel right paying $775 for a P228, as good a gun as it undoubtedly is. I'd be okay with $575. Maybe a little above that if I wanted one badly enough and couldn't find it for less. It seems to me that the similarity of the P229 ought to keep the price of the P228 down to a reasonable level. JMHO.

Ivan, check out the DAC-394 from Dlask.
http://www.pocservices.com/fvonline/dlask/

It is sold through SOG for $249 NIB and is a clone of the P228. The mags and parts are even interchangable. joegerardi has one and I heard good things initially, but he has not posted lately. I like the pistol, the only thing I did not like was that the grips seem to be a thin cheap plastic, so SIG or Hogue grips would have to go one the gun.

Good call on teh 229 in 9mm. It is basically the same gun save the machined SS slide (vs. formed sheet with pinned breech block on the 228). It makes the 229 a tad more top heavy than the 228, but the solid slide is a consideration if you wanna shoot a lot of hot loads. I personnaly like the balance of the 228, but there really isn't much difference beteween them, and given teh less than 2 oz. difference, it ain't hard to adapt.

FWIW, I understand that Hogue is an OEM supplier to SIG for wood grips. I ordered some for my 226, quite nice! M2

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Over the last few days, I looked & looked, called & called most of the gun shops in the SF Bay area for a P228. Most shops didn't have it in stock but a few had some coming in the next couple of days. The best price I could find in the San Francisco Bay area was $665 and I bought it. Now, the 10 day wait begins......I can't wait to get it.

I wish I could have found it cheaper like others have posted...

ivan9mm,
www.kyimports.com sells it for $499.99 13 shot NIB, or $389.99 for one in "very good condition". Important: I would definitely call them for the most current price although I just visited the web site. If you don't mind dealing with an out of state dealer, check them out. From what I've understood on this forum, KYImports is a reputable place.
Regards,

Emin

Sorry I haven't been around. Work has kept me running around SE GA for the past 2 weeks.

Ivan: If you want a great SIG lookalike, take a gander at the DAC 394. It is an exact copy of the 228, and the price is fantastic. The only difference? The trigger guard is slightly more square than the SIG. best of all, if you don't like it, there's a money-back guarantee! Though the finish is not as good as a SIG's everything ese hits the mark. Check here, about halfway down the page:
http://www.pocservices.com/fvonline/dlask/

Thanks for the suggestions.

The DAC394 looks nice but I already bought the Sig P228. I should have ordered it through www.kyimports.com because they have it for $599 NIB. Oh well....at least I can pick up my gun in 3 days locally and able to inspect it first.

Ivan

Joe,

How does that DAC shoot?

Ivan,

I've seen P228s go for more than what you paid and people happily fork over the money. If you're happy with what you got then enjoy. Me, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for SIGArms to restart mass civilian sales again.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Tecolote:
Work has been such a pig lately that I haven't made it to the range in over 2 months. Will try to get there soon and give a review here.

All this talk of the P228 just got to me. Today I visited all the shops in my area and all but one told me to forget it. No more P228s until next year they said. I left the most expensive shop for last as the last time they had a P228 they wanted $700. I walked over to the case and YES! There it was, beautiful and lonely. I inspected the P228 and it has a perfect finish, flawless DA and SA pulls and a slide that rides like if it were on silken rails. I asked how much and the guy tells me they just got it yesterday, special ordered but the buyer balked. The guy says $617 and I say sold! I don't usually buy display guns but this one I couldn't pass up. Joy of joys! Look for a full range report next week.

------------------

Tecolote,

Congrats on your purchase. I went through similar scenario of not being able to find it around the SF Bay area. Once I found one for $665, I jumped on it. Not as good as your price, but better than not having one at all.

Ivan

Thanks Ivan. I was a little bummed as back in 1998 another shop had a P228 for $550 but I guess everything goes up in price. I cannot wait to pick it up next week and take it for a spin. I remember the joy of firing a P226 and if the DA/SA pulls on my new acquisition are an indication I'll have the same huge smile.

------------------

Back