Sig P228 question

MSPHUNTER

Does anyone know if the weight of the slide of the sig 228 is more like the 229 or the 226. To me the 226 feels more comfortable and the 229 topheavy. Any input would be appreciated. Also does anyone know if it possible to get a 228 even though it is for LE and military.

The P228 has a rolled steel slide with a pinned breechblock like the P226, as opposed to the milled stainless slide of the P229.

The P228 is, IMHO, the best balanced of the P-series SIGs. Nice, light, and pointable. :)

The 228 feels more like the 226 due to the lighter slide. The milled stainless steel slide on the 229 makes the gun a little beefier and indeed a bit topheavy. The slide on the 228 is, as stated, folded from sheet steel instead of milled from stainless billet.

Yes, they are still available. Try looking for police trade ins on 226s and 228s, that is where I got mine. Quality might vary, but most should be in pretty good condition. The one I got has 99% of the finish, very light holster wear, nite sights and two magazines. All for around $400.
The 228 feels just right, not too big, not too small. And darned accurate.

If you were turned off by the top heavy feel of the P229 then the P228 will be more to your liking. Personally, I don't mind the initial top heavy feeling of my P229. Put some ammo in the P229 and it balances just fine. And I just had to have the slide cut from a solid billet of stainless steel.:)

MSPHUNTER, I agree with you in that the Sig P229 is top heavy; hence the reason I got shed of mine.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Agreed!

"Personally, I don't mind the initial top heavy feeling of my P229. Put some ammo in the P229 and it balances just fine." -- Ian11

Balance with 12 rounds of .40 or .357 SIG seems just fine. There's something about the P229 with that milled slide that says: you can absolutely bet your life on me. :cool:

Not that I'd kick the P228 out of my range bag...after all, it's a SIG, too.

The 229 is one ounce heavier than the 228 and all the extra weight is in the slide. I've fired both and really didn't notice a difference. Still have the 228 which is one sweet gun.
Ronin

I sold the .40 S&W 229 that I had and kept the 228. Its the one gun that fits my hand perfectly and balances just right. I see a couple of Sig 228's at Auction Arms at good prices.

I disassembled a 229 and a 226 tonight to see why the 229 felt so heavy. What's funny is that although the 226 weighs .2oz more, the 229's slide is heavier than the 226's. And by quite a bit. I think the balance of the 229 is way off. Both the 228 and 226 are quite well balanced.

-Red-

The P226's are now made with the "blackened" stainless steel slide. It is a much stronger design and doesn't rust as easily.

228 is is one of the best if not the best Mid size DA/SA 9mms. I have one and I love it. I also believe the 229 is not balanced as well as the 228

Back