SIG P228 is not Law Enforcement Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequickad

For those of you who currently own the P228 consider yourselves Lucky! The 228 is now LE only and can no longer be sold to the civilians.

As I understand it the only reason that Sig have withdrawn the P228 is because they reduced production owing to demand on other lines and then found themselves swamped with military and LEO orders. I believe that when this demand has been satisfied (which will be soon) the P228 will return to civilian sale, at least one dealer has confirmed this to me, and i sincerely hope it's true as it is the best 9mm compact on the market.

------------------
Mike H

The 228's that Sig is producing now don't have any marking's making them LE/Military only. They shouldn't be either, it isn't a banned weapon (yet) only the post-ban hi-cap magazines are restricted.

I certainly hope Mike H's answer is true.
but right now the P228 has disappeared from the civilian market and the SIG web site confirmed it is

Available for law enforcement personnel only.
Specifications - SIG SAUER P228 http://www.sigarms.com/

I agree with Mike H that the P228 is one of the nicest shooting 9mm around.

Mike is correct, you will see the P228 return at some time in the future. They are cranking out P239 and the new model P226's like crazy.

They have been on again, off again the public market since I bought mine last March (`98). Many dealers still have them in stock (tho they may take advantage of scarcity to up the price), and used (police turn-ins seem to be pretty available. They'll be back, I'm sure. They ARE great compact 9er's. FWIW, I've had good luck with ProMag hi-caps, especially if you replace the springs with Wolffe's and burnish (i.e. remove the flashings) the followers. Good luck, M2

both the 226 and 226 are no longer being offered to the civilian mkt, due to the lack of sale's since the hi-cap ban. there a lot of leo trade in's still available, but sig is not pushing "new" ones to the public. go check out sig's web page and you will see an * next to the 226 & 8's

[This message has been edited by jimc (edited September 13, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back