Sig P226

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLT

On my way up deer hunting this weekend, I stopped by a gun shot on a whim. I noticed a used P226 (9mm) in the counter that looked like it had not seen any hard use (very little wear from what I could see). It has one hi-cap magazine, and they were asking $475. It is the older design (made in "West Germany"). I decided to trade my Smith 686 (which also has seen only limited use, but is a little bit more gun that I need), for which the guy gave me $300. Did I get an OK deal? (Just curious.) I shot about a half box of shells this weekend, and it works great (although I was unable to hit a grouse about 25 feet in front of me. Hopefully practice will cure that.)

Also, what kind of magazines work well with the Sig (no need for more hi-caps), and about how much do they cost? Should I just go with Sig magazines, or do other brands work just as well.

Thanks much in advance for your replies.

MLT, I bought an LE trade-in P226, little wear, one 10rd mag and one hi-cap piece of garbage for $479 a couple of months ago. Wonderful shooter with the nicest trigger of all the Sigs I own. If your looking for mags, go with the factory or Mec-gars(they manufacture the Sig mags anyway). I can't speak on the price of the PC mags, but I bought two brand-new Mec-gar 17 rounders for $48 a piece a month ago at a gun show and they function flawlessly in my P226. I think you'll be happy with your purchase...Dan in GA.

My first pistol was a P226 (that I still own and shoot weekly after 2+ years and 17,500+ rounds with NO FAILURES)

I bought mine from my cop uncle for 350$ with tritium night sights and 4 preban 15 rounders.

Best deal I ever got on a firearm.

Sounds like you did alright on your deal to me. I would stick to sig factory or Mecgar mags (Mecgar is now making the mags for Sig but there is a supply of older mec-gar mags out there) if you are not using it for defense purposes ProMag ,USA magazines are OK for range use. :) G.R.

Greetings, Congratulations on your purchase.
Sounds like a great deal to me. I own a P226
that I bought new in November of 96; it's the
two-toned version with factory SigLite night
sight's. Boy; do I love it?

------------------
Ala Dan

MLT - Ya done fine, lad. I don't have a ton of experience with the prices, but they certainly seem within tolerance. I second teh advice on going with factory (usually around $25 for 10 rnd., $90 for hi-caps) or Mec-gars (I picked up an new 15 rnd. for $39.95 last summer). I've also had good luck with Pro-Mags (though I replaced the spring with a wolffe's after a couple months), I know a lot of folks don't like 'em, they're fine for the range, and no luck at all with USA mags (trash). Enjoy your new 'baby'. m2

MLT:

I agree with the rest....you made a great deal on your 226. Of the SIGs I own, it is my personal favorite.

Stick with SIG factory mags or MecGars...you can't go wrong that way.

Mike

I feel pretty darn good about this purchase. After hearing from you, I feel even better. Thanks much, everybody, for your replies.

Best regards,
Matt

One follow-up question. I noticed some slight discoloring (I don't think it's rust) around where "P226" is stamped on the frame. Would any of you have the gun refinished (reblued), or is that just a waste of money (since I will be a fanatic about keeping it cleaned and oiled)?

Greetings MLT, Don't spend the cash to have
the 226 refinished. Just keep a little
"Break Free CLP" on the slide and you
should be OK.

------------------
Ala Dan

True enough with the break free. I'm convinced the only thing needed to survive the Industrial Age is bubble gum, spit and Break Free CLP. That stuff just works wonders on everything.

Hey, if this doesn't sell the gun then I don't know what will!

The SIG 226 is the choice of all U.S. Navy S.E.A.L teams.

MLT:

No...it's not a stupid question. BreakFree CLP is an outstanding weapons lubricant. It's sort of a creamy color...has particle of teflon in it IIRC, as does Triflo Spray.

You can obtain BreakFree at any good gunshop or Army-Navy surplus store. BreakFree, BTW, is the standard issue smallarms lubricant for DOD. Although I used it for years, and it is good, I personally prefer Triflo spray.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back