Sig P226 experts...

Redhook

I purchased a new Sig P226 9mm today and I noticed that there is no manufacturing markings on the side of the frame. I've seen older model 226's that list "made in Germany", and I've seen one Sig (I can't remember but I think it was a 229) that said something like "frame manufactured in Germany."

I know Sigarms was ramping up production, but would you figure that my 226 is completely manufactured in Exeter? Has anyone done a side by side of German made Sigs to the newer American made (full or slide only) guns?

Thanks!
-Red-

Redhook -

I am not an expert, and do not play one on TV. Having made that clear, let me teel you what I know about the 226.

My 9mm 226, circa 1990, was made in Germany. The slide has that inscription, and the frame has the German eagle underneath.

My .40 226, circa 2000, was made in Exeter ans says so on the slide. I have not seen any that had US slides mated to German frames, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

As for the differences between the two, I find the US gun to be a much better finished pistol. The German 226 internals were very rough with tool marks all over the place. The US version appears to have been milled from solid stock, and there are no tool marks anywhere. It certainly gives the appearance of being the more robust pistol.

The finish is also much better on the US gun.

All of that is completely irrelevant when it comes to finction though, because that old 9mm is one fine shooting machine. It may not look as pretty as my newer gun, but it is every bit its equal where it matters most.

My 229 has its slide made in the US but the frame is made in Germany. Both look extremely well manufactured.

Back