SIG P226 accuracy help

ump45

I'm having some difficulty with shooting accuracy with my new SIG P226. I'm shot almost 1,000 rounds through it so far.

At the 7 yard post, I shoot the official NRA 50 yard pistol target all over the place. Most of it to the lower left. But it's really all over the place.

I went to the range this last Saturday and my friend shot his Tauras 9mm (a Berretta 92FS clone) and he was very accurate with it. At 7 yards, all of his shots were in the black rings. Then with my SIG P226, he wasn't very accurate either, mostly to the left and down.

Is there something wrong with my SIG P226? Why can't I shoot accurately with it?

Fire it single-action from the seated position using a bench rest. Take your time. If it is accurate shooting that way, then the problem is the shooter, not the gun. If it is still inaccurate, try different, high quality factory ammunition. If there is still a problem, send it back to Sig.

M1911

Hitting lower left is usually a indication of jerking the trigger. Do you shoot one-handed, two?

How well do you shoot with other pistols?

It could be ammo, have you been using from one batch, or range-sold reloads?

They aren't reloads. I've shot just standard 115grain Federal, Winchester, and one other brand I forgot the name. I haven't really noticed any difference between brands.

I shoot two-handed. I'm a new shooter, and I've never been instructed on how to shoot properly. But, I do shoot my Dad's Taurus more accurately than my SIG. He shoots his gun MUCH more accurately than mine.

UMP, It sounds to me like the shots are grouping well(mostly down and left), if so, then consider you might be the problem. The sig is a BIG, handled weapon. IMO, the hand and finger extension causes a less than optimum grip and trigger jerk. This might be the cause of the accuracy problems. Try benchrest position.
My experience. I have medium size hands. My first gun was/is a Sig 228. I really thought there was a problem with it, as I couldn't hit a thing. I wanted to trade it, almost did. Kept it for sentimental value. After buying more handguns and shooting alot more, I dusted the Sig off and really worked on finding a comfortable grip and finger squeeze. Low and behold, the gun is awesome. Still doesn't feel as good as others but, I can't beat the accuracy of that little gun.
Best of luck, Dont trade it in just yet!!

My P226 is amazingly accurate for a defensive/duty gun. One thing I did to help was to drop the money on a SIG short trigger for it. I have medium-sized hands, but still found the reach a bit long on the SIG. After installing the short trigger, I have had much better luck with the gun. I recently took it to a gun range with some buddies who are Glockers, and both commented on the amazing difference the short trigger made.

Also, if you're an NRA member (and you should be) check out the latest American Rifleman. I believe there's an article there on "reading" your handgun target.

Good luck!

Shoot it from a rest and LOCK your eyes on the sights as you squeeze and see what they do. If the sights stay on target and the gun throws flyers, the gun has a problem (i've got one of those). Most likely you'll see the sights jump when you pull the trigger. Dry firing will cure this.

Where can I find a range that will let me shoot sitting down from a rest?

Does anyone here live in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Before you waste any more money at the range.... It's you.

Have someone you are sure knows how to shoot well (a cop or a range master doesn't automatically qualify) show you how to grip the gun properly.

At home practice dry firing. First pull DA, second SA. After the first pull, cycle the slide with your support hand (don't alter the grip of the strong hand), while holding the trigger back. Reset the trigger, only as much as neccessary. Then the second pull. Trigger nesting at the first knuckle of the trigger finger for each pull. You can sit down and have your arms supported, or do it standing up. Aim at the wall. No targets. You are concerned with sight picture. The sights should barely move. Master dry firing.

Then go back to the range to get used to the recoil.

Try this classic excercise:

Balance a dime on the front top or your pistol, now, with the hammer back, practice pressing the trigger until you can do it smoothly enough that the dime won't fall off or even move when you press. Once you have gotten good doing this in single-action mode, move on to double action by not cocking the hammer first.

When you can do this smoothly and quickly, you will notice an improvement in your live fire practicing.

I'm in the south SF Bay area. Depending on where you are, you may want to try shooting at Reeds in Santa Clara. They have chairs and will loan you a pistol rest if you need it. Target Masters in Milpitas has the chairs, but you're on your own for the rest. The outdoor Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club in the Cupertino foothills has chairs, bags and everything else you'd need (great place to shoot).

Here's a list of places to shoot in the bay area. I'm sure if you asked, any of them would be willing to help you out.

I shoot two-handed. I'm a new shooter, and I've never been instructed on how to shoot properly.

As an NRA certified instructor, I strongly suggest:

1) Shoot from a rest. That's the only way you'll be able to tell if it's you or the gun.

2) Take an NRA Basic Pistol class. That will teach you the basics of marksmanship and the rules of safety.

M1911

Hey UMP45, I had the same problem with a Sig 226. Not only was I all over the target but shot VERY low. Called Sig and was told that when using the bar-dot sights the front site dot SHOULD NOT BE IN THE REAR SIGHT NOTCH but should be lined up with the bar in the rear notch. The front dot shold be at the top of the rear notch. In other words shoot out of the notch. I told the Sig person I personaly felt this was crazy. I installed a set of Trijicon nites. End of problem, shoots well.

hlpstr,

Sounds like either a bad set of sights, or a stupid/lazy person at SIG. I love the bar/dot sight configuration (anybody know of a night sight with this config?), and my P226 shoots perfectly whether I line up the front sight, ignoring the marks, or "dot the i".

my 226 was also amazingly accurate right out of the box. shooting 147gr slugs i only had to adjust for windage out to 25 yards...need some holdover out at the 50 yard line. at 7 yards, your shots should be right on top of each other.

the low left grouping does sound like you are jerking the trigger. assuming that you are still using the standard grips, the "short" trigger might be a big help...better trigger control

i also highly recommend that you have someone else test your pistol for accuracy to determine if it is really you (most likely)

Hopefully, this post doesn’t get archived, but I have had the same exact problem with my P226. I carried a P229 for many year as a duty weapon and shot it well, along with about eight other P220 45 and 10mm. Even my P226 DAK shoots better than my P226 DA/SA. It is so weird. It is like I have a mental block shooting this pistol. Right hand shooting but hitting low left unless I shoot DA.

Very last item on the Sig FAQ.

Though that doesn't explain why your go from a 229 to a 226 (poorly)...

https://www.sigsauer.com/faqs

My SIG SAUER pistol is not accurate. Why? What should I do?
All SIG SAUER production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a “combat” sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bullseye of the target. Using a six o’clock (“pumpkin on a post”) or center mass (“half’n’half”) sight picture will result in low impact. SIG SAUER, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2 inch groupings @ 10 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis.

Back