Sig P226 .40 cal - Mags, Grips, Short Trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Carver

Inactive
I posted earlier about my new Sig's difficult to load magazines and recieved some valuable advice, thanks I appreciate it as I have no experience with this make/model. I have a few more questions, where can I purchase new Sig magazines and how much? Do after market grips such as Pachmeyer/Hogue reduce the grip size? The stock grip is just a bit too large. Has anyone installed the short trigger option? Sig advertises it for $35.00 and states it is easily installed. How much does this reduce trigger reach? Thanks.

I haven't tried the Pachmayr grips, but the Hogues are significantly larger than the stock grips. I've also found aftermarket grips that don't fit as well as they should, and the potential for interfering with the function of the pistol is there. If you buy grips, keep the receipt so they may be returned if necessary.

The short trigger is pretty subjective. I have average size hands and absolutely hate the short trigger. Those with smaller than average hands may find that it makes the DA pull LOTS easier. Takes only a few minutes to install by an armorer or 'smith.

Most of our smaller officers utilize the short trigger (P226/9mm).

Gary:

My experience with aftermarket grips for my SIGs was the same as Chris Orndorff's. The rubber Hogues I ordered interfered with operation of the de-cocker so I returned them for credit. Wooden grips may do better, at a significantly increased cost, however.

I've stuck with the stock grips on my SIGs and actually like them. If Hogue would attempt a run of SIG grips in a hard nylon, I'd be willing to try again.

I've no experience with the short trigger. My hands are average sized and I don't have any trouble with the da pull on the first shot.

SIG mags can be ordered directly from SIGARMS. IIRC, they run approx $35.00 each. They have a website with catalog and prices.. www.sigarms.com You can also order them from CDNN, 1-800-588-9500. I can't remember if there is a significant difference in price or not.

Good luck...
Mike

I have a P226 in .357 Sig and am contemplating getting a .40 S&W barrel. How accurate is your .40 P226? I used to have a USP40 and it was not very accurate. IMO, the USP is a fine gun, but it is not in the same class as the Sig.

Chalk me up as a fan of the short trigger. Have them on my P228 and 229, and am happy with them. I have small hands with short fingers, so the DA pull was a tad too long for me.

Put the triggers in myself - first one (with written instructions took about 40 minutes, going SLOW and careful) and the second took about 25 minutes. For me it worked well since I now didn't have to shift my grip from first shot to second.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

The short trigger works fine for shorthanded
people ( trigger finger length probably
less than 2-1/2- 2-1/4" ) But I find that
while the distance shooting is improved;
quick and dirty shooting is slower because the trigger requires a longer pull. Most
users with average or large hands also find that the short trigger will pinch their shooting hand during accurate slow fire.

Concerning my Sig P226 40 cal accuracy, I've tried two different loads in it, Federal 180gr HydraShok and Winchester 155gr Silvertips. From 25yds, five shot groups are running around 2" with the Federal, and 1 1/2" with the Winchester. I think for a service grade auto in average (and unfamilar) hands this is excellent. I did discover that the Silvertips group just a bit low, not even with the top of the front sight, but right under the dot in the night sight, of course thats OK. The Silvertips will probably be my carry load. Anyway, most shootings occur in low light. I think I only have one more Sig question - can the recoil spring be turned the wrong direction on reassembly? The manual states to turn the small end one specific direction, my spring appears to be the same at both ends?

Gary,

The smaller end (IF there is a smaller end) should go over the guide rod first. If both ends are the same, you can't go wrong!

I know that earlier Sigs had noticeably different sized ends on the recoil spring, but recently the ends seem equally tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back