Sig P225 versus Colt CCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogger

Folks, I have owned several Sigs, but by far I think the most under appreciated Sig is the P225. What a great 9mm! I traded my Sig P225 (and some cash) for a Colt Concealed Carry Officer in 45 acp. I like the Colt CCO a lot, but the recoil, even with 185 grain Winchester Silvertips, is more substantial than I thought it would be (this is the first aluminum frame M1911 I have owned). The Sig P225 weighs about the same as the Colt, packs 8 rounds in the magazine compared to 7 (big deal) but is substantially tamer than the CCO in terms of recoil, even with Corbon 115 grain +p ammo. All things considered, I am starting to think the Sig would be a better carry gun. As easy to conceal, fast into action, and quicker follow-up shots. Any thoughts?

I think you have better odds of finding a 239. But if you have your heart set on a NIB 225, buy the newest Shotgun News. I know there are some 225s listed for sale, I beleive through Kiesler's.

I think you would be better off with a Lightweight Commander, one of the new O Model guns from Colt, or possibly a Kimber Pro Carry. Either will take an 8-round mag and the longer grip makes them more controllable.

I love the 225. I think Colts are alright, but lend themselves to extensive (expensive)modifications to make the gun reliable. On the other hand, the SIG 225 is ready to go out of the box. It fit my hand like a glove. The only fault is difficulty in finding spare magazines. You can find every other SIG magazine but the 225. IMHO, I would ditch the Colt and find another 225. Check the Gun List classifieds or the Gunsamerica.com website for another 225. Best of luck.

Scott Weaver

i have no comments about the colt. i do however own a 225 and really like it. i was able to nab the seemingly last new one in town and i haven't looked back.

i do wish that there were more options, such as grips and holsters. i've got a hogue hand-all to supplement the grip width a bit, but would love to replace the cheap-looking plastic ones that come with it. my short search for holsters didn't come up with much--but that could have been lack of searching.

accuracy is very nice--the gun consistently outshoots the user. recoil is fine. i sometimes miss the 13-round mag of my hi-power clone, but i feel better about the sig's construction, finish and reliability (not one hiccup in a few thousand rounds at the range).

if you are able to locate a 225, i would highly recommend picking it up.

[This message has been edited by mchang (edited September 07, 1999).]

Scott, I totally disagree, no new major brand 1911 requires extensive or expensive modifications to be reiable. That is a myth that stems from a time long ago when no auto was reliable with hollowpoints from the factory. If you get a 1911 that doesn't feed out of the box, the factory should and will most likely fix it for free.

Dogger - About six months ago, P225's were cheap and I picked up a new one for $375. I also have a P220. The P225 is excellent. They are now hard to find and the price here is around $525. This Sig has superb ergonomics, is accurate and is easily concealed. The 239 is a lesser Sig. I have been able to find extra magazines easily, for about #35. The P225 should have been produced in .40

Thanks for the feedback. Reference holsters for the P225, Milt Sparks is a great source. Also, Eagle Grips provides a nice assortment of wooden grips for the P225. I purchased some last year in rosewood. I think the only way I am going to resolve this dilemma is by keeping the CCO and acquiring another P225, and doing a long-term side by side comparison. :-> Now, how do I convince the "spouse unit" of the worthiness of this cause???

KY Imports (800.718.3643), in their Fall '99 catalog, has NIB Sig P225 listed for $400 and used, very good conditon for $330. Used 8rd mags for $20.
HTH

Just out of curiosity, how is the trigger reach on P225 compared with that on P229 chambered for .40S&W?

Is it much better or is it pretty much the same?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Dogger, My vote will rest with the P225. If
one is not available; then I would step up
to the P228.

------------------
Ala Dan

I have shot both and they are two very different guns. The 225 is one fine piece, if you can find one lately. I wish I kept mine. I fired a few rounds thru the CCO. Nice, but not as well finished as the Sig. Go for the Sig in MHO.

Good Luck

I haven't owned the 225 but have had the CCO for a little over a year and a half. It is my main carry gun. A finer out of the box .45acp I have yet to find. I have owned a number of handguns over the years but the CCO has made me stop looking at all of them. I have put 2k+ rds through it and most of that has been some type of hp ammo. Particularly Fed Hydra Shock and GS 230 gr. I don't reload at all so I tend to shoot in bunches. Now I know some people unless they are putting a couple of thousands rds through a gun a month they consider it not shooting. Well in all that time the CCO has not barfed once on anything. Some has been pretty darn cheap ammo too. I am talking not one hiccup burp, fart or any type of maulfunction at all. Better reliability I don't think you will find. Also the ergonomics of the piece are superb. It has a wonderful carry bevel package on it. It has all the bells and whistles too. What impresses me most though is how easily it conceals, and how fast it can be put into action and it is dead nuts reliable. Oh yea mentioned that. I have excellant carry leather for it along with good belts. Very important for comfort and stability. Sights are great(made by C-Moore), the trigger is great 4.75 lbs on mine and very crisp at let off with just a bit of take up to let you know when the shot is going to break. It is lite wt. and the barrel lock up is the best I have seen on any .45acp. Even my PO and Kimber. 0 play on the hood and at the bushing. It is still that way too. You can not make it move one iota. I also like the 2 tone finish. Matte blue frame and bead blasted ss slide. Oh yea the sites are dovetailed in and the rear is locked by a set screw that has yet to come loose. It is about the most worry free .45 I have owned. I found some fully checkered black Colt stocks with the rampant logo on them that look great too. With GS and FHS bullets at right about 30' it will print very small groups about the size of a .50 piece all day. At the longer distances of 25 yds etc. it is fist sized groups off hand. It also doensn't throw the first shot off either. The empty cases eject slightly back and to my right all the time too. It has also functioned when pretty filthy from shooting a few hundred rds. of Zero ammo too.
Hey bottom line is the gun just keeps on perking no matter what. I do find that with hotter liter weight ammo the recoil is snappy but not umcomfortable. The gun comes back on line really fast, least seems that way to me.
It is nicer with the heavier bullets though.
It is the perfect almagamation of size and weight. Keep'em sharp

Thanks again for all the feedback. To date I have put 150 rounds thru the CCO with zero malfunctions. Last time I fired it I was surprised at how snappy it spits out the empties. The gun was literally arching spent casings onto a rifle shooter three lanes to my right. Have not received any brass into my face or dropping on top of my head, but boy did I have to apologize to the rifle shooter! Has anyone else experienced ejection this "positive"? I don't think the recoil is battering the aluminum slide, but again, this is the first aluminum frame M1911 I have owned.

I do have a lead on a NIB P225 for $399. My birthday is in October. I am dropping big hints to the spouse unit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back