Sig P220 Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipper

I'm considering buying a Sig P220 for a home defense gun and for target shooting (I already have a concealed carry gun).

Are high capacity mags available for the 220? If so, are they very expensive, and how many rounds do they typically hold?

Also, since this gun is all steel, do you find that frequent maintenance and cleaning is needed for proper operation and rust prevention? In other words, does it require a lot more care than a polymer gun like the SigPro, HK USP, or Glock?

Thanks for any help.

Sig does make a short follower for the magazine that will hold one extra round.
The gun does need maintenance and will rust
if not properly maintained. whether it requires a lot more care than the others
you mentioned I don't believe so. I think
it is an excellant weapon.

Pipper:

Standard mag capacity for a P220 is 7 rds of .45 ACP. SIG does make a new follower that will allow you to load 8 rds per mag. Mags run approx $40 each from SIG, about $35 each from CDNN.

P220s are (maybe were) available in .38 Super as well, although you don't see them much. IIRC, mag capacity was 9rds.

The P220 is not an all steel gun...the frame is aluminum alloy.

It requires no more, no less cleaning than any other handgun. If you shoot it, clean it...if you handle it, wipe it down. I do this even with stainless steel or hard chrome plated weapons.

Mike

OK, if you're looking for hi-capacity in a .45 ACP, then look at Para Ordnance. A P13 holds 13 rounds. There's also the Glock 21, which has expensive factory mags that hold 13 rounds but the standard mag holds 10. If 10 rounds are enough, then there's HK USP45 - very nice, EAA Witness or my personal favorite, a CZ-97.
I like my P220 but if I wanted a .45 ACP with hi-cap mags, then I'd choose one of the above. Oh yeah, 12 round factory mags for an HK USP45 are around $100 and the 13 round mags for a G21 are around $75 or so used.
I have a two-tone P220 and haven't had a problem with rust. It doesn't require any more or less cleaning than my Glock 17L.

Later,
Rich

Hi Pipper,

As long as the 220 fits your hand and points well for you, you can't go wrong with owning one for target and home defense. For home defense, you might want to consider investing in MMC sights. If you already have a Sig and like the bar-dot design over the 3dot sights, and wish to keep your sights consistant, they have the night sight bar-dots. They are the only company that I know of that offers that bar-dot adjustable. The "box-dot" ones are the same except in addition to a bar, (on the back sight, under the front dot), they also have another verticle bar going up each side of the rear sight. Hence 3 sides of a box w/a dot up front. This is just a friendly recommendation to file away if you ever opt for night sights. They are adjustable and offer a similar width of notch as factory fixed sights with the option of adjustability. Sorry, I don't have thier web address or number handy right now. But w/ get it on request. By the way, Sig sights are the best factory fixed sights IMHO in their standard, non-night sight, version.

If you like high capacity, but don't want to trade the other benefits of the Sig 220, you might want to consider buying a couple of extra mags and get some good instruction on speed reloading and home antipersonel tactics. If you are thinking about going into IPSC, the Sig is probably not the best choice. Some of the shooting sports seem to be geared for high cap., some are not. All in all, Sig 220 is a great choice. They DO have an all Steel version out now. Its a new "sport" model that weighs 42 oz. and has a compensator. Its mighty pricey. Special order only is my guess. Still low capacity, though. The standard aluminum alloy frame version is under 30 oz.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

HkSigWalther is right in that the P220 was available in 9mm and 38 Super too. Those were the early days when they were first being imported by Sig. Before that, they were imported by Browning as the BDA (Browning Double Action). As the BDA, the magazine release was located in the heel of the grip and not in its present thumb operated position.

BTW, if you get a P220 and want spare mags, get the 8 rounder with the bumper pad already installed. It's cheaper than buying the parts later on.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

pick the gun that points naturally in your hands. That being said, A house gun is like a duty gun in the way that size is not a drawback. Consider the Glock 21 with 13+1 rounds

Hi:

What do you folks think of the 220 with the SS slide?

Is it a little too much in the looks dept? Or is it "cool" looking?

Will the SS finish hold up mo better to corrosion?

Is it a quality finish?

Thanks,

Dave

Pipper,

There are a few after market ten round clips also for around $20. I've never used one so I can't comment on the reliability. You would think that being a single stack, there wouldn't be any problems, but ya never know.

Mec-Gar also makes an eight rounder for around $20 (last time I checked). I trust that brand name more so than other aftermarket stuff.

Big Dave:

If I'm not mistaken (could be if SIG has brought out something new) slides on 220s are carbon steel. The two tone finish you're mentioning is the result of satin nickel/hard chrome on the slide, slide release, trigger, take down lever, etc. Slides on some of their other models (229, 226, etc.) come in SS with a nitrite finish.

It will certainly be more corrosion resistant than the standard parkerized finish...

In terms of looks, it's not for me. If you like it, that's all that really matters.

SIG's finishes are not their strong suit...reliability, accuracy, and superb DA/SA triggers right out of the box are.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited October 19, 1999).]

Hey, Big Dave. I have a two-toned P220. I call it my pimp gun. The finish on the slide seems to be more resistant to wear than on the frame. Is it too cool? It's a matter of taste. I added an Accu-Match compensated, match grade barrel so it's really a pimp gun. ;)
As to the other post re ten-round mags, I have personal experience with the ten-round Pro Mag mags for a P220. They jam and misfeed and shouldn't be bought. I've tried to find the eight-round Mec-Gar mags but have so far been unsuccessful. I did find some eight-round Pachmayr P220 mags that work fine, though.

Later,
Rich

Can someone give me a web site where I can buy some P220 factory mags. I can't find them anywhere.

------------------
Guns don't kill people, people kill people !

The SIG P220 is IMHO the best DA/SA semi auto out there...

For home defense it is great...

.45ACP cartridge...

SIG does make 8rd. mags... (about $35-$40)

There are ten round "extended" mags available through aftermarket manufacturers...

You can mount TAC lights and other accessories (laser sights) if you so desire...

Either way you can't loose with this pistol, it is that good...

And you should not have to pay more than $600 for a NEW IN THE BOX one.

------------------
SURE SHOT

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited October 21, 1999).]

I think the Sig P220 is the best .45 on the market.
Yes even more than the USP - but only by a hair. (Unless you want to shoot .45 Supers - then its ALL USP BABY!)

The P245 looks to be just as good too.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Someone suggested CDNN for mags...

I've been using them for several years, and they're great. Great customer service and good value.

Incidentally, I had a P-220 a while, and even got a 10-round magazine for it. (It protrudes from the grip about an inch.) You wouldn't want to CARRY with that sort of magazine, but its fine for a backup mag, or to use at the range. I got mine from AJAX (www.ajax.com).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back