Sig P-220 Which one should I get?

muddyboots

I've made up my mind to get a Sig P-220. But now which one,are they all made in Germany? K-kote finish? I looked at one blue and it had blue mags, but then I looked at a k-kote and it had nickle or stainless mags (mags were stamped Sig Sauer P-220). The one blue model was listed as a American model (what ever that means). How many different models are there and what should I get?

Hello. Most P220s seen now are the "American" model, which means that they have the magazine release below the trigger guard just like the 1911s, Hi Powers, etc, ie: the John Browning type release. The first P220s had the European style magazine release at the butt of the gun. The stocks were shaped slightly different as well.

The blue on my P220 and every other SIG-Sauer I've owned, seen, or shot is a bit thin and will wear and rust easily if not maintained. The K-kote finish will be rustproof, but will wear if the weapon's holstered and unholstered alot as per a police officer. I've seen this finish wear off on a few officer's guns along the edges primarily, but so does the blue.

IF the K-kote gun's not appreciably more expensive than the blued one, I'd go with it. I, personally, wouldn't care to pay more than $30 for this finish over the blue, but then I'm not a police officer anymore and can protect my weapons from the elements more and I do clean my carry guns religiously.

Hope this is of use.

Best.

Which one...?

How big is your budget? <ggg>

You should buy the standard blued P220 [no hyphen needed] or a two-tone model [matte-nickel on the slide and controls].

IMO, the K-kote isn't worth the extra money...buy the SIGlites or equivalent instead.

BTW, the American v. European [nee Browning BDA] distinction is fairly simple: regular side- v. heel-magazine release.

K-kote rustproof?!?

Hmmm...

Not in my experience.

It is several generations behind the standard Glock finish, for instance.

If you want a more nearly impervious finish [to rust], the blackened stainless slide [a la' the P229] is a better bet.

I've heard that the K-Kote finish is actually _worse_ than the standard bluing (ie, it wears even faster).

What's the deal with the magazines? The k-kote model came with what looked like nickel magazines and the blue came with blue. The nickel ones were stamped:
Sig Sauer P220
Italy
I had read somewhere that one type Sig magazine wasn't very good.(Don't remember what the deal was"
The K-kote is $40 higher, looks like your telling me not to get it.

I just picked up a NIB standard blued P-220 last week. Although I dont plan on carrying this gun I do plan on sending it off to be Hard Chromed just for looks and of course durability.

The one I got came with the standard Stailess Steel mags which is what I understand all the new ones come from.

Mecgar makes all of Sig Sauers magazines now and from my experience they are top notch, they seem very quality to me.

As far as I am concerned I dont think that I will ever have to worry about the blueing wearing on my P-220, I am just taking the Hard Chrome route for my own preference.

Good luck,
~Jason

Hello All-

I'm a traditionalist at heart, and I love my standard Sig
P220A, in it's blued state.:D However, I have a P226 (9m/m)
that is two-tone, in other words the slide and hardware are
satin nickel.:) And it has factory installed SigLite night
sight's.:):D It makes for a beautiful weapon; but I would
not recommend it for use in "tactical situations", where
the sight of a weapon may do more harm than good!!!:eek:
But for civilian use, such as self defense carry or range
use; yes, I probably would opt for a two-tone P220.:rolleyes:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Back