Sig Choice?

dtslay

Inactive
Well I'm in a pickle here.
I'm looking to get a Sig P226 9mm 0r a P229 two tone.
They have two P226's one made totally in Germany {rolled pin}, and a newer one with the pressed pin. Now out of the two P226's which would you choose and why.
Now between the P226 and P229 I'm having the problem of which to choose from. Both feel great in the hand department. Would the P229 give up anything on accuracy compared to the P226? I'm not concerned about concealed carry and I want the gun for range use mostly and home protection.
So would you pick the P226 or the P229 and if you did pick the P226 which style , older or newer style slide?
Sorry for all the questions but I need help.

Thanks.

P226

I would go for the 226 if you aren't using it for carry. A longer sight radius helps alot at the range.

Go with the new stainless steel slide. Yes it's a little heavier but it recoils alot less. It's also alot more durable. I have a new 226 with the ss slide and love it. I have not had one problem or malfunction. It's a tack driver!

Sounds like you're talking 9mm only here? If so, would not pay the extra for the newer milled slide. Have an older "all-German" stamped slide 226 and a milled 229 {but in .40}. The .40 is very accurate but like the balance of the older 226 much more. This 226 shot great even before investing in a top shelf trigger job & bbl. crown. About the only thing personally don't like about the older 226's is the OEM serrated trigger which is fairly easily delt with by repl. or grinding & smoothing. 226 mags can still be had for ca. $50. If the 226 fits your hand to your liking that's the way to go. Personally would get the all German gun. German guns have a two letter date code usually
under the muzzle on the dustcover.
See also: http://www.sigforum.com

I have a SIG 229 40cal and I wish I had gotten the 226. Why?
The 229 is a great pistol. An absolute tack driver that has never malfunctioned. My only regret is the 40cal. The 9mm is a lot cheaper to practice with.

you can't go wrong with either; but

If I could not have a P220 in .45ACP; guess I would have to
go with the full size frame of the P226 in 9m/m. For a CCW
weapon in 9m/m, I would prefer the P228.

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

added point

I believe that the Sig's with the "W. Germany" marking's would be the way to go; even though some of them are marked
simply "made in Germany", after the wall came tumbling down.
I hate to admit it; but the quality of American made Sig's
are lacking in some area's.:( Namely, the Sig-Pro line.:)
Stick with the "P" series of German manufacture.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Back